Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rjg2g11
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power Bi Gateway - Swapping Machine

Hi, 

I currently have On-Premise Gateway installed to my personal machine using my 360 email address (company email). We have installed another gateway on a different machine (which is always on), using a generic email address. 

I have then under each datasource edited the credentials to the new generic email address and connects fine. However, when I turn off my personal machine, the gateway breaks, even though the datasource credentials have been changed?

To confirm, I still have the gateway installed on my personal machine and also on the new one with the generic email. 

I would like to understanding on why this is happening and best practice to change the gateway over successfully. Do I need to set up the new gateway with my personal address or can it be a generic one?

I have followed the online tutorials but it doesn't really seem to tell me anything

Many thanks

Rob

1 REPLY 1

@rjg2g11 Hi Rob, If i understand you correctly, you set up gateways (not personal) on two machines.

First - yours. You deployed a bunch of reports using that gateway.

Second - you installed a second gateway and recreated all the data sources.

Couple things. If you set up the gateway on your personal machine, you could have set up the gateway on the second machine using the recovery key (from the first) and it would have created an exact copy of your gateway on that machine. Doesn't sound like you did that though.

It sounds like you have two seperate gateways. You'll need to go into the Power BI Service, and for each dataset that you deployed, you will need to select the new gateway. ie. Manually move it over for every dataset that you deployed.

If I understood your question, that should resolve it. Let me know if it works.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors