Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

l0l1313nn1
Regular Visitor

Power Bi Dataset and Gateway

I encountered an issue when trying to change dataset gateway.

I published a report using an odbc data source from power BI desktop.

On the service i tried changing the gateway for the dataset to a gateway made by my team (different pc, same source but using different credential). Is this scenario possible ? if not what should i change?

<Edited>

I have an access to the gateway made and can see it in Manage Gateway.

We are using this scenario to test the gateway for different source later on.

Thank You in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @l0l1313nn1,

Please check whether you have added the data source to On-Premise Gateway.

Besides, open your Power BI Desktop file and check how many data sources are  there under Data Source Settings. If your pbix file dataset contains multiple on-premise data sources, you should configure gateway for each of them.

You said you typed a different credential to connect to data source when using the new gateway, right? Please enter the credential which is the same as that in your pbix file for a test.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @l0l1313nn1,

Please check whether you have added the data source to On-Premise Gateway.

Besides, open your Power BI Desktop file and check how many data sources are  there under Data Source Settings. If your pbix file dataset contains multiple on-premise data sources, you should configure gateway for each of them.

You said you typed a different credential to connect to data source when using the new gateway, right? Please enter the credential which is the same as that in your pbix file for a test.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as the new Gateway has all of the same sources set up, you should be able to freely choose it.  The shouldn't be any particular problems, besides going through the initial steps to ensure each data source is correctly added to the new gateway.

the problem is i can't seem to choose the gateway for my published report. In Gateway Connection menu for the dataset, it says "You don't have any gateway installed or configured for the data sources in this dataset. Please install a new personal gateway or configure the data source for an existing data gateway."

Is it that since we used different ODBC ( i use one in the data source server, while my team member use ODBC from his pc), it is treated as different data source?

Anonymous
Not applicable

When you are in your PBIX file using Power BI Desktop, you have an option called "Data Source Settings" (little arrow menu under 'Edit Queries').  You need to make sure each data source here is identical to what is in the gateway.

The simpliest example of where this can trip some people up.  If they are using an excel file which is locally found under "C:\Folder\File.xlsx" but the gateway has "\\Computer\Folder\File.xlsx".  These are considered different sources and the gateway will not accept the project.

So the question will have to fall back to you with your troubleshooting.  Is the source on your gateway identical to what is in the project you are trying to link?

Thank you so much @Anonymous!

I've been literally pulling my hair out over this!

Our gateway is functioning perfectly but would not accept a dataset because there were additional 'unsanctioned' data sources added in subsequent geneartions to our model.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors