cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Olivia New Member

Power BI with on-premise Dynamics CRM

How do we connect to on-premise CRM?

Is it possible to have Power BI dashboard for each users of CRM with different security role?

Will Power BI in any way implement the inbuilt security model of CRM? 

18 REPLIES 18
Super User
Super User

Re: Power BI with on-premise Dynamics CRM

Use OData, follow this post:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/building-ultimate-microsoft-crm-dashboard-under-hour-greg-deckler?trk...

I have book! Learn Power BI from Packt

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

paulhasell Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi, sadly the referenced link doesn't work for us. It refers to CRM Online which works perfectly, however our IFD on-premise won't connect as it can't get the authorization URL from ADFS

Capture.PNG

Power BI is supposed to be compatible, not sure if it's a problem in the ADFS setup but I can't find any useful tips anywhere.

Power BI Team curth
Power BI Team

Does Windows authentication work for you? Those headers suggest it might.

Frequent Visitor

I tried that first but get an error in the Query Editor

Capture2.PNG

It seems to be trying to process an ADFS url as the OData target rather than the CRM Odata Url that's passed.

topry Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Paul - we have the same issue. I've never been able to get Excel/PowerQuery to work with on-premise CRM using the default OData connector.

According to the following article, it is a known issue. Hopefully, MS provides a connector/method to resolve this issue.

http://blog.cobalt.net/blog/excel-odata-feed-from-dynamics-crm-on-premise-or-ifd

This method does work for us, but does not help with PowerBI (directly) as the OData connector in the desktop tool has the same issue / error. Currently, we use the method above to export to Excel - which means we have to manually update the files.

Frequent Visitor

Hi, it was indeed a known fault, one that MS was supposed to have fixed with the latest release of Power BI and Power Query, sadly it appears that it's not. My suspicion is that the on-prem IFD needs to be configured the same as Office 365 to use OAuth2 rather than WIA but I can't find any useful documentation on how to do that.

It's interesting that the mobile client and SDK connections work fine but then they're not OData endpoints,

greenchevette New Member

Lehigh Valley Health Network in Allentown PA is also extremely interested in utilizing PowerBI with our On Prem CRM system. Please bump the priority on this integration. Dan Bortz, MBA RCA Lead Information Services 1245 Cedar Crest Blvd – Suite 100 Allentown, PA 18103 Office - 610.402.1974
tklooster Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

PEAK 15 Systems is also very interested in using Power BI with on premise. 

mickemakela Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi! After reading the posts I'm more than happy to tell You that we at Fenix Solutions are releasing hopefully by the end of this week Dynamics CRM (OnPremise / Online) Power BI Connector! With it You can import your CRM advanced finds to Power BI along with the data! You can also use the tool to refresh the Power BI table with CRM advanced find after You have imported it to the Power BI. More info coming soon! -Micke Mäkelä (Fenix Solutions Oy)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 163 members 1,903 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: