Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AJTindall73
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI - understanding licencing

Good morning all,

I have a need to understand Power BI licencing better.  

I am my organisation's only reporting analyst and am the one who develops all reports, in Power BI Desktop.

I then publish these report onto the Power BI Service and create Apps based on the workspaces I publish. 

Again I am the only person doing this.   I have a Power BI Pro Licence.  This makes sense.

Our end users only need to view the Apps I create.

Do they only need the Free licence? or Do they also need a Pro Licence?

It seems strange that they would also need a Pro Licence when they are not creating and/or manipulating the reports like I am.

I cannot seem to find anywhere which explains this in simple terms.

Kind regards,

Alan Tindall

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Yes they need. It's not about creating. The Pro is about sharing and be shared. Each person that consumes from a custom workspace would need pro even if you set the user with only read permission.

The free user only works for people to try power bi under their "My Workspace" and can't share or be shared. Personal o test purpose.

When the business grows too much there is a premium capacity (we can say 400 users or more). In that capacity the pro users build and you can share to free users but only for reading under a workspace with paid capacity.

Hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Yes they need. It's not about creating. The Pro is about sharing and be shared. Each person that consumes from a custom workspace would need pro even if you set the user with only read permission.

The free user only works for people to try power bi under their "My Workspace" and can't share or be shared. Personal o test purpose.

When the business grows too much there is a premium capacity (we can say 400 users or more). In that capacity the pro users build and you can share to free users but only for reading under a workspace with paid capacity.

Hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors