Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andyccw

Power BI subscription email fails to display dashboard content

Hi all,

I have subscribed my own Power BI dashboard but then found that the snapshot in email often fails to display some of the dashboard content. Would it be due to too long data loading time to get snahpshot from the dashboard? Or is it because the subscription snapshot time crash with data loading time such that the snapshot can't capture the updating data?

Would like to know any solution or workaround for this issue.

Thanks,

Andy

18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I too am facing the similar issues. Not sure if this has been fixed but my visuals are partially loaded every time. I have checked the scheduled time and dashboard subscription mail time and they do not clash. Also my visuals are just table/matrix view and not a custom visual.

Can anybody please suggest solution ? @PowerBI 

Thanks,

Amruta

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone gotten a resolution for this? We are having a similar issue. If the subscription runs automatically at 0600, the email png doesn't show the previous day's data. If we manually run it, it does. We can't run this report manually each day before the staff need it for their huddle/activities. We also had an issue where it would not display data for April 30th in the png on the email. Thank you.

JasonP
Frequent Visitor

Does anyone have a solution or understanding of this problem? 70% of my email subscriptions come out partially blank (see below) Sometimes I'll have the column headers but often no data. May have to look for another Data Analytics program if Microsoft can't figure this out. Very frustratederror.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @JasonP, our issue was solved after Power BI team released a product fix in mid July. 

If you used custom visuals that are not in the PBI store, the visuals will not be published.

Hi @Anonymous, 

The visual is a simple table. We had the grey blank emails that were coming out that they fixed earlier this month but this problem is emails going out before the data is updated/rendered (I assume). The tables have roughly 30 rows with 2 measures in them. Just strange a product of this level would fire an email off before the report had fully rendered.

Not sure how to fix it but C-suite is getting frustrated. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

What is your data source? Do you directly retrieve data from cloud or?

@Anonymous MS-SQL. Not cloud.

Appreciate the help. Strangely enough, if I manually refresh it, it the emails seem to come out ok but today during the scheduled refresh, I have one of the two tables from the emailed dashboard showing and the other blank. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got same issue - broken visuals - for manual as well as auto refresh. it has got normal tables, bar charts, guages, plus several custom visuals - all showing up with errors - sources include excel and some online apis - though clicking ont he dashboard button and opening the dashboard itself shows all good.

jaddobumba
Regular Visitor

experiencing the same issue. Any resolution?

enimsaj

I have this same issue; half of the reports sent to my e-mail are empty.

The setup is like this:

1. I have created a dashboard where I have pinned four reports

2. I have subscribed to get a .png image of the dashboard to my e-mail

3. E-mail is sent to me every time the data is refreshed automatically (I use powerbi gateway to do this every week)

Other observations:

- usually one or two reports are missing

- missing reports have more data on them than other reports

- missing reports take more time to visualize on the dashboard when viewing them on power bi web app

It seems to me that the automatic snapshot is taken at a time when the data has not yet refreshed or visualized properly. A small delay or a check before the .png creation could make a quick fix...

Has anyone found why this is happening?  Having the same issue.  Emailed reports from Subscription are showing blank.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue here

Has anyone found why this is happening?  Having the same issue.  Emailed reports from Subscription are showing blank.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @andyccw,

Can you share some detail contents about this issue?
BTW, I'd like to suggest you check the blocking setting of mails, it also will cause the issue.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Thanks for your reply! I have drafted a sample dashboard layout as below for demonstration.

Imagine this is one of the dashboard snapshots in the Power BI subscritpion email received daily. I can see Chart 1, Chart 3 and the filters normally, but the chart inside Chart 2 area is blank. In the other times, it could also happen to Chart 1 or Chart 3, sometimes even all the charts are blank. I would like to know what would be the possible reasons and any solutions for it.

dashboard_empty.png

Thanks again for your attention!

Regards,

Andy

Hi @andyccw,

Which visual you store in chart2? Datasource type?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

The following are the visual types I have used in the dashboard, and all of them have experienced the "blank" issue at different times:

- Card

- Map / ArcGIS

- Table

- Line chart

- Slicer (Date/List)

The dashboard is in DirectQuery mode and connected to Azure DB tables/views (15-min update frequency). The callout figures and tables show some aggregated values based on a dataset with 20+million rows.

I suspect that the calculation time on the dashboard is too long which causes Power BI subscription function unable to capture the screenshot.

Regards,

Andy

Hi @andyccw,

It seems odd, I also not found any related information about this issue, perhaps you can try to submit a ticket about this issue.
In addition, you can also check your network state if the issue related to it.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors