cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Power BI solution architecture with AWS / RDS database

Hi all,

I'm pretty new around Power BI and highly confused how to best use it as a SaaS provider. To give you a bit of background we are using Amazon Web Services and have an RDS database (PostgresQL) in a private network (i.e. not accessible by the outside world). We want to enable our client to use Power BI and our clients arrange from small shops (3-5 persons) to large enterprises and cost is always an issue 😞

I was considering a direct connection from the free Power BI desktop to the database through some from of tunnel. 

What I'm absolutely unclear about is where Power BI gateway comes into play and what exactly its purpose is.

Can anyone point my to any solution architectures which include similar scenarios (AWS, RDS) ?

Thanks,

Thomas

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User IX
Super User IX

Re: Power BI solution architecture with AWS / RDS database

@thomasb , refer if this can help

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/big-data/integrate-power-bi-with-amazon-redshift-for-insights-and-analy...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
Dashboard of My Blogs !! YouTube Channel !! Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Highlighted

Thanks @amitchandak . Definitely a starting point but looks as "complicated" as I suspected.

Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

Hi there

What you would need to do is to install the Gateway within your VPC (Private Network).

This will allow the Gateway to connect to your database and also to be communicate to the Power BI Service (With Port 443 open to the outside)

Then depending if you want to use DirectQuery or Import and refresh via the Gateway you will be able to achieve this.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power BI

See the latest Power BI innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!.