Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thomasb
Regular Visitor

Power BI solution architecture with AWS / RDS database

Hi all,

I'm pretty new around Power BI and highly confused how to best use it as a SaaS provider. To give you a bit of background we are using Amazon Web Services and have an RDS database (PostgresQL) in a private network (i.e. not accessible by the outside world). We want to enable our client to use Power BI and our clients arrange from small shops (3-5 persons) to large enterprises and cost is always an issue 😞

I was considering a direct connection from the free Power BI desktop to the database through some from of tunnel. 

What I'm absolutely unclear about is where Power BI gateway comes into play and what exactly its purpose is.

Can anyone point my to any solution architectures which include similar scenarios (AWS, RDS) ?

Thanks,

Thomas

9 REPLIES 9

Thanks @amitchandak . Definitely a starting point but looks as "complicated" as I suspected.

Hi there

What you would need to do is to install the Gateway within your VPC (Private Network).

This will allow the Gateway to connect to your database and also to be communicate to the Power BI Service (With Port 443 open to the outside)

Then depending if you want to use DirectQuery or Import and refresh via the Gateway you will be able to achieve this.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

How do I install it within my private VPC? Where I need to go to start it?

Hi @cauecaviglioni 

You would need to install an EC2 instance in the VPC and then install the Gateway on this EC2 instance?

Power BI Blog

Exactly. My problem is I don't even know where to start doing that. When I create an Windows Base 2019 instance in EC2 in the VPC, I can't connect to it... What do I need to do to install the Gateway on this EC2 instance?

Hi @cauecaviglioni 

You would need to chat to your AWS people who can get that installed and configured for you.

You would then RDP to the EC2 instance and install the gateway after downloading it.

Power BI Blog

Unfornutely change to public access isn't an option. I have to make it work being private.

Hi @cauecaviglioni 

It can still be private as long as you can access an HTTPS site from within the VPC you will be able to use the Gateway.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors