Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jano
Helper III
Helper III

Power BI shared datasets - sharing a report to another workspace

Hi there!

I'm really excited for the newest feature of shared datasets.

But I'm having trouble getting started here.

I'm the only BI person in my company, so I created a master PBIX file in an "admin" workspace.

Now I want to create reports for each of the departments, using that same PBIX file where I'm defining the common data model for my company.

I just tried this with a simple report build via "get data -> from dataset" to make another PBIX file directly connected to the master file and want to publish it to another already created workspace for department X.

But when publishing I cannot choose between workspaces - my only option is to publish that report to the same workspace my master PBIX is in.

So, what I'm missing to make this work?

Is there any connection configuration or something similar I need to implement between the workspaces I want to use shared datasets?

I hope you guys can help me with this!

Thank you in advance and have a nice weekend!

Greetings,

Jano

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jano
Helper III
Helper III

I found out the issue!

It only works with the new workspaces!
Workspaces created before March or April update still have the old functions and the migration possibility is not there yet.
So if you create new workspace and publish the shared dataset, you are able to publish any reports created from that shared dataset to any other new workspace!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Jano
Helper III
Helper III

I found out the issue!

It only works with the new workspaces!
Workspaces created before March or April update still have the old functions and the migration possibility is not there yet.
So if you create new workspace and publish the shared dataset, you are able to publish any reports created from that shared dataset to any other new workspace!

@Jano 

So there is no way to upgrade an old workspace so this functionality can work without having to create a new one?

Thanks

Did you get an answer to this question?

hey, atleast I couldn't find this update functionality back then.

Didn't see it in recent updates aswell though..

thanks

palombie
Frequent Visitor

Hi Janice,

Same issues ! Impossible to select other workspaces. So disappointing ....

Marc

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors