cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danextian New Contributor
New Contributor

Power BI service says "There is no available gateway" but there's one up and running

Hi All,

I've been unable to schedule-refresh my data source since 8/7 since  the  service is throwing an eror that there is no available gateway. Upon checking, my on-premises gateway is actually up and running.  I didn't make any changes to it except that there was a power outage and I had to reboot the PC the gateway is in. Please refer to the screenshots below.

gateway data source  settings.pngData source connection is OKgateway error.pngPBI service error.gateway.pngOn-premises data gateway is up and runningsomething went wrong.png

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
www.linkedin.com/in/danebelarminocpa
6 REPLIES 6
Super User
Super User

Re: Power BI service says "There is no available gateway" but there's one up and running

Hi @danextian

Just to confirm that you do have the latest version of the On-Premise Gateway installed?

As well as the latest version of the Power BI Desktop?

As well as it appears that you are accessing a location for a specific user. I would suggest putting the file into a central location and possibly creating a Share that can be accessed via that Share with the same permissions used for the On-Premise Service so that it can gain access?

I know that you images show that it should work, but in the past I have found the above way to work better.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
"Proud to be a Datanaut!"
Power BI Blog
New Contributor

Re: Power BI service says "There is no available gateway" but there's one up and running

Hi @GilbertQ

I'm logged in to the gateway PC using my corp account and the data source  is stored locally. 

My version of PBI  Desktop is updated

I've just updated my version of On-Premise gateway but got this error when trying to recover an existing data gateway

Error generating an asymmetric key.
The communication object, System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel, cannot be used for communication because it is in the Faulted state.

Server stack trace: 
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.ThrowIfDisposedOrNotOpen()
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.InternalContracts.IGatewayConfigurationService.GenerateAsymmetricKey()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClient.GenerateAsymmetricKey()

Gateway service health check failed. Common issues can be found at https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=838272.

Below is the stack trace: 
Health check failed because it cannot finish in 2000 ms.
"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Super User
Super User

Hi there it appears to be something with the encyrption.

Do you have the password when you installed the On-Premise Gateway?

If so I would suggest un-installing and re-installing BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE PASSWORD. As this will enable you to have all the existing connections still working after the re-installlation.

Power BI Blog
New Contributor

When you say password, are you referring to the access token? I have it with me. In fact, I unininstalled then re-installed the gateway as it wouldn't install properly. Then I got that error when trying to login. I think  my other alternative is create a new data gateway. 

Super User
Super User

Hi @danextian

I am referring to the Recovery Key as part of the installation.

I have not had issues in the past after a re-install when I have had the Recovery key.

But yes you could try and do a new installation.

Power BI Blog
New Contributor

I uninstalled On-Premises Gateway then reinstalled it again and tried creating a new data gateway. I got this error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayCommon.ConfigurationUtilities.CreateDmtsGateway(CreateGatewayAndAddAppPrinciaplsRequest request, Uri dmtsBackendUri)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayCommon.ConfigurationUtilities.Create(String gatewayName, SecureString recoveryKey, Uri dmtsBackendUri)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.WizardServiceConfigurationViewModel.ValidateAndCreateGateway(String gatewayName, SecureString recoveryKey)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.WizardServiceConfigurationViewModel.DoOk(Object param)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.WizardViewModelBase.DoOkWorker(Object param)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayUXCommon.RelayCommand.<>c__DisplayClass19_0.<Execute>b__0()

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Ask Amanda Anything Q&A

Ask Amanda Anything Q&A

Learn the answers to some of the questions asked during the Amanda Triple A event.

October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 168 members 1,554 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: