Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

danextian
Super User
Super User

Power BI service says "There is no available gateway" but there's one up and running

Hi All,

I've been unable to schedule-refresh my data source since 8/7 since  the  service is throwing an eror that there is no available gateway. Upon checking, my on-premises gateway is actually up and running.  I didn't make any changes to it except that there was a power outage and I had to reboot the PC the gateway is in. Please refer to the screenshots below.

Data source connection is OKData source connection is OKPBI service error.PBI service error.On-premises data gateway is up and runningOn-premises data gateway is up and runningsomething went wrong.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.
6 REPLIES 6
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @danextian

Just to confirm that you do have the latest version of the On-Premise Gateway installed?

As well as the latest version of the Power BI Desktop?

As well as it appears that you are accessing a location for a specific user. I would suggest putting the file into a central location and possibly creating a Share that can be accessed via that Share with the same permissions used for the On-Premise Service so that it can gain access?

I know that you images show that it should work, but in the past I have found the above way to work better.

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ

I'm logged in to the gateway PC using my corp account and the data source  is stored locally. 

My version of PBI  Desktop is updated

I've just updated my version of On-Premise gateway but got this error when trying to recover an existing data gateway

Error generating an asymmetric key.
The communication object, System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel, cannot be used for communication because it is in the Faulted state.

Server stack trace: 
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.ThrowIfDisposedOrNotOpen()
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.InternalContracts.IGatewayConfigurationService.GenerateAsymmetricKey()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClient.GenerateAsymmetricKey()

Gateway service health check failed. Common issues can be found at https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=838272.

Below is the stack trace: 
Health check failed because it cannot finish in 2000 ms.

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.

Hi there it appears to be something with the encyrption.

Do you have the password when you installed the On-Premise Gateway?

If so I would suggest un-installing and re-installing BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE PASSWORD. As this will enable you to have all the existing connections still working after the re-installlation.

Power BI Blog

When you say password, are you referring to the access token? I have it with me. In fact, I unininstalled then re-installed the gateway as it wouldn't install properly. Then I got that error when trying to login. I think  my other alternative is create a new data gateway. 

Hi @danextian

I am referring to the Recovery Key as part of the installation.

I have not had issues in the past after a re-install when I have had the Recovery key.

But yes you could try and do a new installation.

Power BI Blog

I uninstalled On-Premises Gateway then reinstalled it again and tried creating a new data gateway. I got this error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayCommon.ConfigurationUtilities.CreateDmtsGateway(CreateGatewayAndAddAppPrinciaplsRequest request, Uri dmtsBackendUri)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayCommon.ConfigurationUtilities.Create(String gatewayName, SecureString recoveryKey, Uri dmtsBackendUri)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.WizardServiceConfigurationViewModel.ValidateAndCreateGateway(String gatewayName, SecureString recoveryKey)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.WizardServiceConfigurationViewModel.DoOk(Object param)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.WizardViewModelBase.DoOkWorker(Object param)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayUXCommon.RelayCommand.<>c__DisplayClass19_0.<Execute>b__0()

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors