Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI service and Report Server

Hi Team,

Few questions that I need to know.

1. WHEN to use Report Server over Power BI service Pro/Premium?

2. WHAT is the scenario that the 2 work best together?

3. DO I need to atleast Pro license when deploying PBIX file into Report Server?

4. Best Practices in Infrastructure design for a AS, Report Server. I am thinking AS in the same box as EDW, Report Server in a separate box.

Cheers,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Use Report Server only if need paginated reports. And, you either want to either keep the data on-premises or if you have an Enterprise SQL license with SA along with Pro and do not want to go the Premium route. 

If you use Premium, you can publish paginated reports to the Service. Best working together if you have some data you have to keep on-premises and other that you do not. Or, if you do not have Premium and have paginated reports, you could use PBRS and for non-paginated use Pro/Service

3. DO I need to atleast Pro license when deploying PBIX file into Report Server?

Yes, that is my understanding of the licensing requirements.

4. Best Practices in Infrastructure design for a AS, Report Server. I am thinking AS in the same box as EDW, Report Server in a separate box.

Generally your report server is separate. I have seen all three separate. Depends on scale and how much horse power you have.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ranbeermakin
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @Anonymous 

>> If you are scared of the cloud, you may want to use the Report Server (Think of it as SSRS). Report Server is usually behind Power BI service in terms of features. They have, I believe every 2/3 months release cadence.

>> Don't mess around here as some reports would be on-prem and some on cloud. Your IT would be scratching heads. From Dev perspective new features are pushed to service first and later to Report Server. Some items may work on Service and not on report server.

>> You need a Pro license to create, model and publish reports.

>> If EDW and AS on the same box, it would cause perf issue when EDW is refreshing. 

Hope this helps.

Ranbeer

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Use Report Server only if need paginated reports. And, you either want to either keep the data on-premises or if you have an Enterprise SQL license with SA along with Pro and do not want to go the Premium route. 

If you use Premium, you can publish paginated reports to the Service. Best working together if you have some data you have to keep on-premises and other that you do not. Or, if you do not have Premium and have paginated reports, you could use PBRS and for non-paginated use Pro/Service

Yes, that is my understanding of the licensing requirements.

Generally your report server is separate. I have seen all three separate. Depends on scale and how much horse power you have.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wondering why do we still need to atleast have Pro license to upload file to Report Server even it is On-Prem and under a company network?

@Anonymous wrote:

Just wondering why do we still need to atleast have Pro license to upload file to Report Server even it is On-Prem and under a company network?

Rules

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors