Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

phaidara
Frequent Visitor

Power BI service - Limit dataset usage to specific workspace

Hello everybody,

I am currently administrating the use of the Power BI service within my organization. I am responsible for building Power BI datasets and reports for end-users based on each team's needs as well as managing our Power BI service usage (report publication, dataset refreshes, access granting).

We have a Premium per capacity license, and I created one premium workspace per department (Finance, Supply Chain, Operations, etc.) where I publish each team reports.

We also have a few pro licenses allocated to specific users in each team. Those users (team data experts) are facilitators for me (teams request collection, report creation, subscription management, etc.)

I am trying to find the correct permission set up for those people.

Ideally, I would like to allow them to:

• Modify an existing report within their team premium workspace.
  • Create dashboards in their dedicated premium workspace to combine visuals from multiple reports  

I can achieve this by granting them a contributor role to the workspace.

However, I do not want them to use a dataset (create a new report/copy an existing one) in another workspace than the one assigned to their team without my control.

How can I ensure this part? 

Is this possible to grant build access to a dataset only in a specific workspace, or to block the dataset copy feature for given users?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @phaidara ,

I do not want them to use a dataset (create a new report/copy an existing one) in another workspace 

You can enter the relevant report dataset page of another workspace, set the user's permission to read, and do not add build and share permissions to him.

vyangliumsft_0-1656321543972.png

Build access to datasets cannot be granted in a specific workspace.

Either only Workspace permissions or dataset permissions.

Roles in the new workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Build permission for shared datasets - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @phaidara ,

I do not want them to use a dataset (create a new report/copy an existing one) in another workspace 

You can enter the relevant report dataset page of another workspace, set the user's permission to read, and do not add build and share permissions to him.

vyangliumsft_0-1656321543972.png

Build access to datasets cannot be granted in a specific workspace.

Either only Workspace permissions or dataset permissions.

Roles in the new workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Build permission for shared datasets - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors