Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stangellapally
Frequent Visitor

Power BI scheduled refresh issues for the My workspace/Group reports

Hello,

I've been experiencing this scheduled refresh issue for the reports uploaded in My workspace and Group reports. I am not sure if any one has been facing this issues or its just me doing something wrong. I have some reports created in My workspace and group space... where they get refreshed absolutely fine when my office 365 is signed in for Power BI web app. But the reports fail to refresh during weekends when I am offline (off course my system is shut down and I am not logged in Power BI web app). Here are some things I noticed:

a. After the weekend, on Monday when I login in to browser with my credentials and keep it ready for the scheduled refresh  they reports doesnt give an failed notice nor they get refreshed.

b. Since it doesnt give me any failed notice.... I always assumed it to refresh it to the latest values. But on the Power BI page, the dataset has that "yellow triangle with exclamation mark" for refresh failed on every monday after the scheduled refresh.

c. So everytime I had to again go in manually and refresh the data again.

So should we be always signed in for the reports to get refreshed? or is their any solution for reports to get refreshed even when we are offline?

Tango
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wonga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hey @stangellapally, glad I could help in some way. If the option for an enterprise gateway is greyed out, it either means you don't have an enterprise gateway installed, or there is no appropriate data source that has been added to the gateway for your specific dataset.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
wonga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

What kind of gateway are you using to do your refreshes?

1. If it's a personal gateway, you must install it as an administrator in order for refreshes to occur even after you log off your computer. Your computer must stay ON in order for the personal gateway to work.
  2. If it's an enterprise gateway, then it should work as long as the machine the gateway is installed on, remains on. (Preferably installed on a server).

Great! Thanks for the quick solution Wong. 🙂

But unfortunately the enterprise gateway option is grayed out for me to select. I will check with the admin if they need to new credentials to be created or use my existing ones.

Tango

Hi,
As Wong mentioned, you need to be an admin on the personal gateway to keep it running even when you're logged out. For the enterprise gateway, you need to add the data source from the Manage Gateways UI, if it's greyed out: check the credentials or it might be offline for some reason. 
Let us know if this issue persists, and if it resolved please marked the topic as resolved.
Thanks!
Dimah

Hi Dimazaid,

I've been trying to work with the admin in my office and no luck so far. Is there a place we can refere the steps to set up the enterprise gateway settings?

Thanks,

Swathi

Tango
wonga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hey @stangellapally, glad I could help in some way. If the option for an enterprise gateway is greyed out, it either means you don't have an enterprise gateway installed, or there is no appropriate data source that has been added to the gateway for your specific dataset.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors