Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JitK
Frequent Visitor

Power BI report publishing error - DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_ProviderDataAccessArgumentError

Hi,

I have created report in power bi report builder using Oracle datasource and published to power bi service. The workspace where i published the report has premium capacity; datasource and gateway connections are correctly mentioned however it is giving the error : DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_ProviderDataAccessArgumentError in Power BI service

Error details:- 

An unexpected error occurred
A data source used by this report returned an error. If you continue to experience this error contact the report author or data source owner quoting: DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_ProviderDataAccessArgumentError
Activity ID: f0eca880-cf1a-a9c7-ccbc-db49a9d537e3
Request ID: f0eca880-cf1a-a9c7-ccbc-db49a9d537e3
Correlation ID: bb432535884c4da4a0b60deae1b4d392
Status code: 200
Time: Fri Apr 03 2020 17:13:23 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Cluster URI: https://northcentralus.pbidedicated.windows.net/webapi/capacities/8402C0C6-A9A2-4F0F-BA30-A738954251...

Please help

Thanks

Jit

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jit, 

Were you able to resolve this. I am experiencing a simiar issue. If I create a report and dataset in Desktop I experience no issues when refreshing the data set or scheduling a refresh, if I I create a report in Power BI Report Builder I receive the Gateway error A data source used by this report returned an error. If you continue to experience this error contact the report author or data source owner quoting: DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_ProviderDataAccessArgumentError. The Gateway appears to be configured correctly. 

Thanks,

David

Hi David,

Yeah, I solved the issue.  I would suggest to create the new report and test it before publishing it to power bi service. I assume; you are using Oracle to connect database.

Here are steps

1. Open Power BI Report Builder. Create the Datasource and test the connection. Pls use //ipaddressofdatabaseservice:port/sid as ServerName while building the datasource.

2. Write a sql query in sqlplus* or toad/sql developer  etc..  and test it. 

3.Once datasource created successfully in Power BI Report Builder, create the dataset. Now you have just paste the sql query created in step 2.  Lets say, we created below query 

Select EmpName, EmpID, EmpJoiningDate where EmpJoiningDate = :EmpJoiningDate;  (Do not ignore : (colon) here, it is argument for Oracle sql query)

PLEASE DO NOT create parameter seperately in power bi report builder.

Once you paste the query in query designer window, just Press Ok and your job is done. Report Bulder will create parameter automatically for you.

4. Run the report locally on your pc through report builder and make sure it is working fine there.

5. Go to  app.powerbi.com. Ensure workspace where you gone publish report is having Premium or Embedded capacity. Also , check the setting of  Admin Portal --> Capacity Setting --> Workload --> Paginated Report preview. The Paginated Report preview should be enabled. 

6.  If all these setting looks good then please publish rdl file to power bi service. Report should work fine there also.

Let me know if it works for you... !

Thanks

Jit

Anonymous
Not applicable

When i try to use the server name as //ipaddressofdatabaseservice:port/sid while builing the datasource in report builder i am getting error ORA-12154 : TNS:Could not resolve the connect identifier specified.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I would suggest that you can make sure that your Oracle connection via the Gateway is set up correctly?

Here are more details on how to ensure it is working as expected?

https://www.fourmoo.com/2017/04/26/power-bi-on-premise-gateway-configuration-steps-to-an-oracle-data...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors