Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Power BI report URL sharing with Workspace members

Hello all,

We have a workspace that grants permissions to both internal and external users (Active Directory B2B).  Every member can readily open the workspace with the sharing URL for the WORKSPACE. 

However, when users are sent a URL of a REPORT inside of the WORKSPACE, they get messages that read.

• Request Access: Let's get you access (and an OK button)
  • Submit a Request with space for a message (an a Send Request button)
  • Access Request sent! with a check mark....as in Done.

Doesn't the user of a Workspace have permission to click a URL of a report within a workspace?  Particularly if the URL refers to a specific report in a specif workspace...  Is there a setting I may be unaware of? ( I've enabled sharing in the admin portal.)

Where are the requests sent to?---I am the global administrator and I don't see any messages anywhere?

Any tips would be appreciated,

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, I do mean the app created from the workspace.  Each report in that app workspace has a unique URL....even if the report is uploaded into more than one workspace--each instance has a different URL.  So, it sure would make sense to me that reports would inherit permissions of their app workspace...Users could access a report via going to the workspace and then clicking the report--or they could click the report sharing URL.  That would sure streamline user management and communication with those that I'm sharing with.

Apparently this isn't the way it works is what I hear you say...is that right?

Tom

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@ThomasDay "sharing URL for the WORKSPACE" -> Do you mean the App that you created from the workspace? External users can only navigate to objects that have been shared, they have no access to a workspace. I would imagine that you could share a report with those external users and they would be able to then see it, but there must be a difference in App vs. object in app if they can't get to it.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Yes, I do mean the app created from the workspace.  Each report in that app workspace has a unique URL....even if the report is uploaded into more than one workspace--each instance has a different URL.  So, it sure would make sense to me that reports would inherit permissions of their app workspace...Users could access a report via going to the workspace and then clicking the report--or they could click the report sharing URL.  That would sure streamline user management and communication with those that I'm sharing with.

Apparently this isn't the way it works is what I hear you say...is that right?

Tom

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors