Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI report - Referenced tables are not allowed when switching sources

We´ve always being able to switch the datasource of our published reports using the cmdlet Set-PBIDatasource as long as we keep identical metadata in souce and destination.

Now we´ve got a report which contains a table built upon referenced tables and we´re not able to do the same. And error with no much information is returned:

Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod : One or more errors occurred.

+     Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod  -Url $endPoint -Method POST -Body $Upda ...
+     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : WriteError: (Microsoft.Power...werBIRestMethod:InvokePowerBIRestMethod) [Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod], AggregateException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : One or more errors occurred.,Microsoft.PowerBI.Commands.Profile.InvokePowerBIRestMethod

With the same report we can switch between databases in the Desktop version, but it fails with the service one.

I´d appreciate any inputs, recommendations or comments.

Many thanks in anticipation!

2 REPLIES 2
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You may finish the work of switching between databases in Power BI Desktop, then publish it to Power BI Service.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Amy,

Thank you for your quick response.

That approach is feasible for a small scale environment, but in my case I had an automated process which publishes the same report across different workspaces and then updates the datasources to point to different databases (using PBI cmdlets). 

I'm thinking of removing referenced tables from the report and change the design so I can keep the compatibility with the automated process.

I was wondering whether this limitation is documented somewhere and I missed it?

Thanks again,

Javi.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors