Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI refreshes across multiple regions

Currently been asked to investigate a Power BI setup for a multinational for the first time.

Their head office is in Europe, as is their Power BI Tenancy. We are located in Melbourne Australia.

The currently only use Pro licences.

They would like to do more local reporting, fed from Australian hosted data sources, into Power BI. Currently, they haven't determined whether they want to use SQL Server On-Prem or Azure based, such as Azure SQL/Synapse, etc. Data will be fed via scheduled refreshes.

Since Multi-Geo is only a feature of Premium Capacity, I am trying to find out the best and most efficient way to get data to their Power BI tenant.

Are there any issues feeding Power BI from Azure hosted services, across regions without a Gateway?

If we decide to go with a solution that requires a Gateway, is this going to cause issues?

Interested in others feedback or suggestions.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

just keep in mind the limitations and considerations: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-premium-multi-geo

also double check the dates and time configurations when move cause changing geo can alter the timezone configurations and locales you could have in yours reports, also keep in mind dataflows arent alllow for multi geo 

if you do full cloud azure wont be a porblem, same if using a gateway only keep in mind where you install the gateway in consideration to the tenant regional location and multi geo according to how you refreshing the data 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

If I remember correctly yes you need it, but I recommend that question been asked directly to microsoft staff to clarify 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

just keep in mind the limitations and considerations: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-premium-multi-geo

also double check the dates and time configurations when move cause changing geo can alter the timezone configurations and locales you could have in yours reports, also keep in mind dataflows arent alllow for multi geo 

if you do full cloud azure wont be a porblem, same if using a gateway only keep in mind where you install the gateway in consideration to the tenant regional location and multi geo according to how you refreshing the data 

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, at this stage, they are very keen to keep at Pro level licencing, so at this point, Multi-Geo is not a consideration.  So, at this point, it is about making the most of sending data from one region to another.

If was to convince them to go premimum capacity, I am assuming that using Multi-Geo for two regions would mean having to pay 2 capacities?

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors