Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI "Publish to Web" and embed on a Sharepoint site: does it make it practically secure?

Hello!

I'm trying to figure out flaws in the following approach. If a Power BI report is published to web, but the link is not shared with anyone, and instead the report is embedded on Sharepoint (which requires login), isn't the report secure then? Publish to web reports aren't indexed, and while technically the report doens't require any authentication, how can anyone find it without having a link?

Please help me figure this out.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Absolutely not secure.  That URL is discoverable by the wider internet.  Even if you don't publicise the URL, it can still be found.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is my assumption, but what is the mechanism? Plugging in random numbers? How can it be discoverable?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Couldn't help you with the how, thats a better question for a black hat.  URL discovery is quite an old security issue for the internet more generally.  The how almost doesn't matter.  If you have a public URL, always assume everyone has access to it and all of the information on that site is available to even your worst enemy.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors