Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI pro license still needed for on-premise data when having powerbi premium?

While studying the benefits of the upcoming powerbi premium server I was wondering whether you would still need a Powerbi Pro license when you have your data on-premise.

About 80% of our users need read-only access but currently do need a pro license because we have our data on-premise. I know with premium read-only is for free whilst having included the sharing capabilities. But I would like to make sure that our on-premise access can be maintained (so we have our SSAS instance in another datacenter than azure)  before promoting the use of premium internally.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous The Pro license would only be required for those who will be creating reports regardless of where the data lives. The end users in your scenario would not need a Pro license if they are just reading reports, the Premium licence covers that.

I'm pretty sure Premium alters the sharing a bit for those users in that content is shared via App Workspaces and not dashboards anymore.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jhampson
Frequent Visitor

Would external users to the organization, clients, require a pro license to view reports generated in Premium?

@jhampson No, They don't need licenses. 

The caveats:

It's not released yet, so you can't currently do this. It is on the roadmap outlined at the end of this article.

When it is released, this requires Azure AD, leveraging B2B collaboration. Details here

So it looks like that sharing is limited to your companies trusted partners that you add via this service.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Anonymous The Pro license would only be required for those who will be creating reports regardless of where the data lives. The end users in your scenario would not need a Pro license if they are just reading reports, the Premium licence covers that.

I'm pretty sure Premium alters the sharing a bit for those users in that content is shared via App Workspaces and not dashboards anymore.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Eno thank you I just also found it in the whitepaper

Once apps are created and distributed, any user, regardless of whether they have a Pro user
license or not, can view the content contained in the app, which uses the resources of the
Power BI Premium capacity. These capabilities include navigating the dashboards, interacting
with the reports, and exploring using Q&A and Quick Insights. There is no restriction on the
type of content the applications can include. Any supported data source can be used, both
on-premises (through the gateway) and in the cloud. Power BI Apps are also available on
Power BI Mobile and through Cortana.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors