Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI premium sharing content

We have recently upgraded to PBI premium and I have tried to share some dashboards with users who don't have pro licence. 

From all that I have read, I understood that if you're sharing from premium workspace and you're a pro user the users that only need to view the data should be able to access it.

I have tried sharing just a dashbard, report, I tried adding the person on the access section as a user and also created an app. None of these worked. 

Any suggestions what the issue might be? 

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

user with a free licence can access content that is provided via an app, if these users are added inside the permissions sections or if these users are assigned to Viewer role.

Make sure that the workspace is assigned to the Premium capacity, a small diamond next to workspace indicates that the workspace is assigned to a Premium workspace.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @TomMartens ,

I have tried to share app with the users they get the app but when they try to open it it comes the message to try pbi pro for free or upgrade the account. 

I have also tried adding the users to the workspace as a viewers, they get to see the workspace but when they try to open it they get the same message.

Hey @Anonymous ,

just to be sure, please confirm that your workspace is assigned to a Premium capacity.

This is indicated by a little diamond next to the workspace name.

Regards,

Tom 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @TomMartens , 

Yes it is a premium workspace. 

Is the app the only way to share content with free users?

When I share it as an app it works for users that have pro licence but not for free users.  

Hi @Anonymous ,

What kind of SKU you assign to this workspace, EM SKU or P SKU? Based on this document, only P SKUs-O365 capacity can access content with a FREE Power BI license in Powerbi.com and Power BI mobile, if you have EM SKU, you can try to Embed content in MS Office applications, such as Share Point and Dynamic 365.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-lid-msft , 

If you have P1 SKU capacity but the cpacity is split and the workspace that you share the content is EM3 capacity would that affect the sharing or it should't matter? 

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-lid-msft ,

I don't know the kind of SKU don't have that level of access to check, unfortunalty. 

I was just testing and if I sent a link of the reports page from the premium workspace to the free users they can view the reports but they cannot actually see the dashboards. Also, they cannot access the workspace from the side menu where all your workspaces are. They see the workspace but they get a message they need to upgrade.  But they get access through a link, it's just a bit weird. 

Regards, 

Minka

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors