Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jos88
Regular Visitor

Power BI premium regions

Hi fellow PBI developers,

I was refreshing a large dataset (based on a big table) when I got this waiting type on the database ASYNC_NETWORK_IO which triggered me. This may indicate that the SQL engine is waiting for the client (Power BI) to process the data, before it continues to collect the next chunk of data (I think). This whole process took way too long before it timed out. So I started diggigin and I found out that the premium capacity is in a different region than the data (North vs West). To me this seems really inefficient and might be causing the trouble refreshing the data, since it has to travel between regions.

I'm not quite certain though, so I'm hoping someone could confirm on this or give me a bit more insight

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jos88 

Thanks for reaching out to us.

>> I found out that the premium capacity is in a different region than the data (North vs West).

You can refer to the flow chart below, although it is the troubleshooting process of the report, but for refresh, they still have similarities

vxiaotang_0-1659924968483.png

Troubleshoot report performance in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Additionally, you can use fiddler to track refresh activity, which steps up to each request and its duration.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jos88 

Thanks for reaching out to us.

>> I found out that the premium capacity is in a different region than the data (North vs West).

You can refer to the flow chart below, although it is the troubleshooting process of the report, but for refresh, they still have similarities

vxiaotang_0-1659924968483.png

Troubleshoot report performance in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Additionally, you can use fiddler to track refresh activity, which steps up to each request and its duration.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors