Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jason140294

Power BI personal gateway on 2 diffrerent computers with same account

i'm using Power BI desktop on my laptop and i have also have power bi personal gateway installed on it.  i need to move POWER BI to another PC. If i install the Power BI personal gateway on on another PC  and log in with the same account will it give me problems?

Also if i'm moving power bi to another pc do i have to back up any data files.

sorry i'm new to this  application so please,  i need your help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
alanhodgson
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hey @jason140294,

Regarding the Personal Gateway part of your questions, the only thing you have to do is install a new personal gateway on the new PC. When you configure the new PBI Personal Gateway, but it will override the old one.

As far as backing up files, I would make sure you back up any .pbix files you are using and any data sources those files are connected to. Also, if you are using any R visuals, be sure to back up the packages you have installed.

Hope this helps,

Alan

View solution in original post

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@jason140294

On Power BI Services, it only recognizes one Personal Gateway. Even you install two Personal Gateway, Power BI only takes one configured Personal Gateway. If you install a new Personal Gateway and configure it, Power BI will bring it online automatically.

And Personal Gateway is for refreshing On Premise data sources. It doesn't mean you have to install your Personal Gateway on the server where hosting those On Premise data sources. You can still keep your Personal Gateway on your laptop and refresh the data source from different machine.

Regards,

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@jason140294

On Power BI Services, it only recognizes one Personal Gateway. Even you install two Personal Gateway, Power BI only takes one configured Personal Gateway. If you install a new Personal Gateway and configure it, Power BI will bring it online automatically.

And Personal Gateway is for refreshing On Premise data sources. It doesn't mean you have to install your Personal Gateway on the server where hosting those On Premise data sources. You can still keep your Personal Gateway on your laptop and refresh the data source from different machine.

Regards,

alanhodgson
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hey @jason140294,

Regarding the Personal Gateway part of your questions, the only thing you have to do is install a new personal gateway on the new PC. When you configure the new PBI Personal Gateway, but it will override the old one.

As far as backing up files, I would make sure you back up any .pbix files you are using and any data sources those files are connected to. Also, if you are using any R visuals, be sure to back up the packages you have installed.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors