Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

papanovn
Frequent Visitor

Power BI over bigger on-premise database

Hello.

I have a meeting with a very big customer who already use QlikView and Tableau. Anyway they want to know more about Power BI and see what can Microsoft put on the table. My biggest concern about possible Power BI project there is the amount of data. 1GB pbi file size limit will be exceeded for sure. Transfering databases to Azure is not a matter of discussion. Probably I can use live queries to SSAS but I'm worried about how fast will be.

So, share your experience please. What is the best way to use Power BI for analysis over big databases?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yes, it is very fast and live queries over SSAS cubes works incredibly well and is fast. It sounds like in your case this will be even better once you can render Power BI reports directly on-premises in SSRS.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @papanovn,

A quick question would be is have you tried to create a Power BI model and see how much memory it actually consumes?

I have no doubt that you are on track that it will be very large. But until you actually try and see how efficient the Vertipaq question is in terms of compression. As well as what data you need to bring into the Power BI model.

I also would suggest that for larger implementations they do suggest having a SSAS Tabular Model On-Premise and then connect using Live Query. This enables everything to run as efficiently as possible and still leverage the Vertipaq memory engine.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
micahwilliams12
Frequent Visitor

Microsoft announced Power BI Premium – a capacity-based licensing model that increases flexibility for how users access, share and distribute content in Power BI. The new offering also introduces the ability to manage Power BI reports on-premises with the included Power BI Report Server. Power BI Report Server delivers the capabilities we made available in January 2017 as the Technical Preview for Power BI Reports in SSRS. Power BI Report Server is an on-premises server that enables Power BI Pro users to publish Power BI reports and distribute them broadly across the enterprise, without requiring report consumers to be licensed individually per user. Organizations now have the flexibility to publish their Power BI reports to the cloud (Power BI service), or manage them on-premises (Power BI Report Server) and move to the cloud at their pace.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @papanovn,

A quick question would be is have you tried to create a Power BI model and see how much memory it actually consumes?

I have no doubt that you are on track that it will be very large. But until you actually try and see how efficient the Vertipaq question is in terms of compression. As well as what data you need to bring into the Power BI model.

I also would suggest that for larger implementations they do suggest having a SSAS Tabular Model On-Premise and then connect using Live Query. This enables everything to run as efficiently as possible and still leverage the Vertipaq memory engine.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yes, it is very fast and live queries over SSAS cubes works incredibly well and is fast. It sounds like in your case this will be even better once you can render Power BI reports directly on-premises in SSRS.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you.

Hi @papanovn,

Could you accept the helpful reply as solution to help others who may have similar issue easily find the answer and close this thread?Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors