Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CG-4Water
Regular Visitor

Power BI online not showing simple Text Changes made in Desktop

Im in my office at work.

I made a PBIX in Desktop called "Stream". I have several pages in a report (graphs, charts, text boxes). I save it to my One Drive Work Account.

I launch the web version using Portal.Office.Com.

I create a Workspace callled "River". I  "Get Data" , "Create New Content", "Files" and choose Local File because the "Business" never gets past the "It will take 30 minutes..."

I choose "Stream.pbix" from the One Drive.

Everything in the report looks correct.

Until I make changes on the Desktop Version, mainly text and color changes. I hit save. Then I launch the Web Version and open "Stream.pbix" and the text changes are not there. 

I dont Publish at all... I only open the PBIX in the web that was created and edited on the Desktop.

I just want the Desktop changes to appear in the Web Version, without deleting the PBIX and adding again.

For example, I make changes in the office and save it to the One Drive (Cloud) and go to a presentation the next day in a different city and launch the PBIX, I need them to sync.

Otherwise whats the point of a Cloud Power BI App?

Any Ideas??? Or do I have to delete the Web reports everytime and re-add them? What about when I share a Web PBIX with a co-worker and make changes? Contact 10 people and tell them to delete?

Thanks,

Clint

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you cannot see the changes after one hour then the mapping between your PBIX from OneDrive and the Power BI Service has broken

You will need to create it again.

Here is a great blog post explaining how this happens: https://powerbi.tips/2019/09/updating-pbix-files-in-sharepoint-dos-donts/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

With the syncing of the Power BI Desktop PBIX with OneDrive this can take up to 1 hour for the changes to be reflected.

If you delete and re-create you will also loose the mapping of our Power BI report because it is linked to the OneDrive file.

Power BI Blog

I checked my Online PBIX this morning, its been 20 hours since I created it, and the changes were not there.

For some reason, the Online version is not in sync with the Desktop version.

Im going to try a simple text edit Online and see if the Desktop Version sees it.

This is really bugging me because I can edit a Word Doc stored in my One Drive and the changes are visible in both Online and Desktop. Just as it should be.

If you cannot see the changes after one hour then the mapping between your PBIX from OneDrive and the Power BI Service has broken

You will need to create it again.

Here is a great blog post explaining how this happens: https://powerbi.tips/2019/09/updating-pbix-files-in-sharepoint-dos-donts/

Power BI Blog

I figured out the major issue, our microsoft work account was hitting two different licenses. We are a government agency.

So, my methodology was incorrect to begin with. I needed to publish my desktop PBIX, which I originally didnt.

Now I can publish all changes and see them Online.

Thank you @GilbertQ  for the help. The blog post helped me out

No worries, glad to know you got it all working. Great work!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors