Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

v-megm
Employee
Employee

Power BI not publishing properly

I am refreshing a report on Power BI desktop and publishing it to the service. The publishing goes well, but when I look at the report on the service, the data is updated but the changes I've made aren't showing, and a report with a different name which is built off the same dataset appears with all my changes in it. Anyone know how I can make the original report display all the changes I've made?

6 REPLIES 6
csolutions
Frequent Visitor

Did you change the name of the file when you saved it (prior to publishing it)? If the name changes on the file it will create a new report in the service and not update the prior version. 

Also, if you publish a report with changes - and those changes don't appear - try clicking the refresh button. That usually fixes it for me. 

Hi @csolutions !

I have the report saved under the correct name on my desktop, but it keeps publishing under a different name. I have pressed the 'reset to default' button, and refreshed the report, but neither bring in the new tab I created. 

What name does it give it? Can you screenshot the panel in the service that shows available reports?

Hi @csolutions !

The report renames to a previous version of the same report. I refreshed the FY19 version of the report, and then saved it as FY20. When I published it, an FY20 version appeared, but the FY19 version was still being updated and shows all my most recent amendments, even though the dataset had been renamed to FY20. Every time I delete the FY19 version of the report and then republish, the FY19 version reappears with all the changes, and the FY20 version contains the new data but none of the changes I made to the layout.

@v-megm Something doesn't seem to be adding up. I would recommend you take a look at the new Lineage view to make sure your reports and datasets are what you expect them to be. In the workspace, you can click on the "List View" in the upper right next to the "Publish App" button. Then select "Lineage View (preview)" It shows you all objects in your workspace and the relationships they have. If things are tied together correctly and this is happening, are you using a shared dataset, have you double checked the report name you are working on in the PBIX?.. we can dig further if needed.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer !

Thanks for letting me know about the lineage view! I've had a look, and the dataset is connected to the original report, as well as the new report it keeps creating. I have saved the report on my desktop under the correct name, but it keeps publishing under a different name. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors