Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ianmonat
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI map help - US States

Hi, I'm creating a Power BI report using the free web version. My data source is an Excel spreadsheet on Sharepoint.

I'm trying to use a map vizualization to display sales by state in the US.

It's pretty simple except that in my organization, California is split into Northern and Southern California. I have to keep Northern California and Southern California separate.

Any tips on how to display this mix of states and state-parts on a map? The map is not recognizing Northern or Southern California.

I have tried the Map, Filled Map and ArcGIS map. Thanks for any tips you may have. 

4 REPLIES 4
Sacha
Resolver I
Resolver I

Take a look at the ShapeMap visual.  It's currently in Preview but this should allow you to achieve the required results:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-shape-map/

HTH

Sacha

Thank you for the reply, I did read about shape maps but i understand they are for Power BI Desktop files only and I am trying to keep this report in Power BI web service.

Hi @ianmonat,

You can create ShapeMap visual in Power BI Desktop and publish your report to Power BI Service following the instructions in this article:https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-upload-desktop-files/.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to know if there is a solution to this to...we do the same in my organization. I've used other Microsoft products such as PowerView, which also do not support the ability to split up states by 'markets' or other DMA designations. It would be nice if there was a way to tie a ZIP code file to define these geographic areas.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors