Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ssharman
Frequent Visitor

Power BI limitations for large datasets

Hello,

I understand there is a 1GB limit for datasets with Power BI.  However, it appears that with premium this limit is 10 GB.

We have purchased a Power BI embedded instance and assigned the workspaces to this embedded capacity.  However, when we try to push more data into a 1 GB dataset we still get the following error:

{"error":{"code":"InvalidRequest","message":"Dataset size is limited to 1024Mb."}}

The workspace is configured to use the Power BI embedded and appears in the UI as Power BI premium content.  Shouldn't we now be allowed to push up to 10GB into the dataset?

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ssharman,

Current only increase data model size limit at least request premium P1 SKU license.  If you use premium EM license, it still has 1 GB limit:

Power BI Premium support for large datasets

Large models can be very resource-intensive on your capacity; we recommend at least a P1 SKU for any models larger than 1 GB. The following table describes recommended SKUs for various .pbix sizes:

SKU Size of .pbix
P1 < 3 GB
P2 < 6 GB
P3 up to 10 GB

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I have scaled our Power BI Embedded instance to an A6 skew, which I believe is equivalent to an A3 instance and I am still seeing the same errors when trying to push data to a 1GB dataset.

Any other suggestions?

Sorry, I mistyped.  I have scaled to an A6 Power BI Embedded instance which I believe is equivalent to a P3.  Still getting the 1 GB errors

HI @ssharman,

I haven't found another documents mention these limitations, maybe you can submit a support ticket to power bi team to get further support.

Support Ticket.gif

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors