Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI license, dashboard sharing and on premise database

Hi All, 

I am working on a specific requirement where I am suppose to build dashboards using Power BI. Here, I am writing this to request your inputs on how to achieve the same for below scenario. 

1. Dashboards shall be developed using on premise database (MySQL). 

2. These dashboards will be shared / published to our end customer (only for viewing). 

3. The data must be retained in our on premise network.

Requesting your input on below questions:

1. What kind of license is required for me to develop such dashboards?

2. Do our client require any license?

3. How can we provide real time connectivity to our on premise database?

4. Does this connectivity is secure / need to setup VPN?

5. And yes, data strictly stays within local network.

Looking foward to hear back from you. 

Thanks in advance.

Jigar.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-shex-msft 

Thank you for your reponse. I appreciate that you responded in detail. Your reponse is really helpful. 

For #3, We can certainly create real time streaming dataset and publish them to the API. Does this means, the data will go out of our network and stays at API end? Does this dataset is being stored somewhere on cloud?

so in other words, when user is viewing power BI dashboard - will it be like web API that hits on premise database on real time? OR the datasets will be served by API from cloud?

And I understand that Gateway Client only supports MS SQL database, right?

Sorry for this basic questions, I am new to Power BI and need to make decision to use Power BI. Due to compliance, I need to make sure that data stays in our network and do not get synced or stored on cloud or any other such storage.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Jigar.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous ,

#1, These develop features are free to use , you only need to download power bi desktop to design your report and register a account to enable publish feature. (publish your report to correspond power bi service side based on your account)

#2, Power bi desktop and gateway client is free to use.

Getting started with Power BI Desktop

#3, Please create a real time streaming dataset and write application to publish datasource records to that API.

Real-time streaming in Power BI

#4 #5, If you database is works on internal network, you need to setup a proxy on gateway to help it connect to correspond database.

Power BI Security

On-premises data gateway in-depth

Configuring proxy settings for the On-premises data gateway

BTW, power bi share features require pro or above license. (both sender and receiver)

Ways to share your work in Power BI

Share your Power BI dashboards and reports with coworkers and others

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-shex-msft 

Thank you for your reponse. I appreciate that you responded in detail. Your reponse is really helpful. 

For #3, We can certainly create real time streaming dataset and publish them to the API. Does this means, the data will go out of our network and stays at API end? Does this dataset is being stored somewhere on cloud?

so in other words, when user is viewing power BI dashboard - will it be like web API that hits on premise database on real time? OR the datasets will be served by API from cloud?

And I understand that Gateway Client only supports MS SQL database, right?

Sorry for this basic questions, I am new to Power BI and need to make decision to use Power BI. Due to compliance, I need to make sure that data stays in our network and do not get synced or stored on cloud or any other such storage.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Jigar.

HI @Anonymous ,

>> Does this means, the data will go out of our network and stays at API end? Does this dataset is being stored somewhere on cloud?

For steaming dataset, it only display pushed records and not save to power bi service side.(you can turn on history analytics option to store pushed records on power bi service side.)

>>will it be like web API that hits on premise database on real time? OR the datasets will be served by API from cloud?

In fact, you can't use api to trace/access the raw data from database, these live tiles only display pushed records from application.

>>And I understand that Gateway Client only supports MS SQL database, right?

Actually, gateway client support lot of datasource types, you can refer to following link to know the datasource it support.

On-premises data gateway#List of available data source types

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

I just came across a (old) post that Power BI is added to Microsoft Trust Center.

Does this means that even if data is synced to Power BI services or stored, data is ISO 27001 / HIPAA complaint? 

Is there a proess to sign BAA? Can you please let us know from where we can obtain BAA?

Best regards,

Jigar.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors