Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

juanFPR
Frequent Visitor

Power BI in Azure

I am kind of new in this "power BI world". I know there are two kinds of power BI licenses; Pro and Premium. Recently, I also saw on the Azure portal two services, Power BI Embedded and Power BI Report Server. Then a couple of questions came up to my mind.

When should I use those services instead of having a Pro license for example?

If I want to use any of those azure services, then I do not need a Pro or Premium License.

I do not really get the idea of having these two Azure services for power BI, their adventages, etc.

If anyone can give me an extended and detailed answer/explanation, I would really appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@juanFPR The Power BI Desktop is free. The Power BI Service is an Azure Software as a Service and requires a Pro license.

Embedded has different licenses. Both require at least 1 Pro license for the user who is creating the reports if that is the only way you are going to license.

Embedded licenses have two options. "A" - azure sku -> https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/power-bi-embedded/

and

The older "E" sku (or EM).

Actually, this article explains all of this pretty well -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded-faq

Another way to think of this is Pro is the base level license, and Premium/Embedded are add-ons. Those add-ons would only dictate how many Pro licenses you needed.

Example:

Pro for everyone

Pro for only report creators and Premium license to share with all free

Pro for report creators and Embedded for share with free

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@juanFPR 
Embedded allows you to use the Power BI reports in the Service in custom applications. You need to either license that functionality seperately with an "A" sku (Azure sku) or there is an Office 365 "E" sku, but that route is older / not as easy.

If you have a Premium license, you can use Embedded with no further licensing. If you only have Pro, you need an A sku to use both the Service and Embedded.

Power BI Report Server is SQL Server Reporting services, with the capability to upload Power BI Files to the server. This fits the on-premises need. It also requires either Premium, or, a SQL Enterprise License + Software Assurance.

Embedded lets you embed reports into custom apps.

The Report server gives you SSRS reports, Power BI reports and Excel in SSRS.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer

But how azure benefits me in terms of costs, if I pay for power BI embedded?

I am asking this because the company I work for is thinking about changing its monthly licenses of power BI Pro to Power BI service in Azure? Is that coherent?

May be I am not getting the concept of Power BI services (embedded and report server) in azure. That's why I am asking. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks

@juanFPR The Power BI Desktop is free. The Power BI Service is an Azure Software as a Service and requires a Pro license.

Embedded has different licenses. Both require at least 1 Pro license for the user who is creating the reports if that is the only way you are going to license.

Embedded licenses have two options. "A" - azure sku -> https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/power-bi-embedded/

and

The older "E" sku (or EM).

Actually, this article explains all of this pretty well -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded-faq

Another way to think of this is Pro is the base level license, and Premium/Embedded are add-ons. Those add-ons would only dictate how many Pro licenses you needed.

Example:

Pro for everyone

Pro for only report creators and Premium license to share with all free

Pro for report creators and Embedded for share with free

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors