Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jesse_james
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI gateway personal mode to refresh Azure SQL DB data source? is it possible?

Hi, my company requires gateway to refresh Power BI report connected to Azure SQL DB.
I cannot use standard mode gateway so I would like to try with personal mode.
however gateway do not show in report settings. Is it possible to use PBI gateway (personal mode) to configure this refresh? (the same gateway is working properly with local Excel files) 

5 REPLIES 5
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I would like to ask you some questions first to understand better the situation.

Is Azure SQL DB the only source in the report? why can't you use a standard gateway?
If the Azure SQL DB is the only source then you don't need a gateway to configure the credentials in Power Bi Service under Schedule Refresh options of the report because it's cloud. However if you have local data like excel files and the Azure DB together in one report, you will need the standard gateway to configure the excel sources and check an option lo split cloud and local data.

I hope this make sense.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

yes, this is only one source. As I wrote my company policy requires a gateway to refresh Azure SQL DB.
I cannot install standard gateway on this machine due to some other project constraints so I would like to go with personal mode if possible.

You do understand that even if this is possible or not you are downloading data from azure to local and uploading again to power bi instead of just connecting your credentials in Power Bi directly to Azure SQL DB, don't you?
I would strongly recommend to just enter the credentials in the schedule refresh configuration of the report and try to connect without the gateway. Otherwise you might need an Azure VM to install a personal gateway to be the bridge with between DB and Power Bi because if you have it locally is way too overkill.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

yes I am aware of it but no gateway option is blocked by DB firewalls policy.

I don't understand what you mean with the last sentence. Be sure that the Azure SQL DB Firewall accepts azure services or microsoft ip list if you want to connect. You should also add the VM public ip.
The answer would be Yes. But pay attention, you can only configure a Personal Gateway to connect Azure SQL DB if you are Importing Data. You can't use direct query with personal option. 

Regards,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors