Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

priyankam
Regular Visitor

Power BI gateway for Power BI Pro and Power BI Pro Storage questions

Hi All,

I work for a company with125-200 users who would eventually use Power BI. I am setting up a power BI gateway and should I be using a domain user to create the gateway and should the domain account have a power BI pro license ?

My second question is - Currently we spurchases 5 power BI pro licenses. And If I am using one  licnese and publishing reports and using up the 10 GB of my dataset what happens other than my options going to premium for a small company. I also found that I cannot share that person 2's 10GB of data set. Is that right? I do not want to move to Power BI embedded since that will involve a web developer to help me put the report onto it. 

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @priyankam ,

Yes, the workspace doesn’t include the dataset storage size.

Maybe you can refer the Power BI Premium Per User Gen2 licensing.

The details of how much the licensing would cost are still to be determined, as the licensing would come later this year (2020).

Hope it will be helpful.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @priyankam ,

Yes, the workspace doesn’t include the dataset storage size.

Maybe you can refer the Power BI Premium Per User Gen2 licensing.

The details of how much the licensing would cost are still to be determined, as the licensing would come later this year (2020).

Hope it will be helpful.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

deepu299
Advocate V
Advocate V

Hi @priyankam 

The service account need to be domain user and have gateway admin privileges. A Pro license is not required. 

I am not sure if I understand the 2nd question correctly. If you are looking for capacity requirements, you can claculate here : 
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/calculator/
If I understand right, you are asking to use the shared capacity and not get any premium capacity (?), See this community post

Hi @deepu299 ,

Thank you for answering my first part of the question.  Probably I was not clear on the second part of my question.Here it is - 

I have a pro licence and I have datasets with different sizes that will fill up to 10GB. Which means I cannot load more data sets. So, what do I need to do to get more storage so that I can load more datasets without going premium or embedded?

Also from the discussion post link you added - Does it mean that each workspace that I create will have 10GB available?

Thanks,

Priyanka 

Yes as per my understanding. You can check by creating a new workspace, Go to settings and select Manage group storage. You will see 10 GB assigned to that workspace.

Hi @deepu299  , I can see how much space I used in each workspace with that option. But my question is what do I do once I reach the 10GB dataset limit? The workspace doesnt include the data set storage size right?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors