Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI for Offive 365

I have just made a new trial subscription for Office 365 because I need a Power BI for Office 365 for demo purposes. The Power BI Pro works but when I try to go to Power BI for Office 365 I get an error telleing me I have no license!! Any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Technically two different licenses. The ones for O365 are:

• Microsoft Power BI for Office 365 Individual User Trial
  • Microsoft Power BI for Office 365

Whereas those for Power BI are:

• Power BI ‎(free)
  • Power BI Pro

This is when looking at user licenses in the O365 portal

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK.. But how do I get a Power BI Office 365 Trial? I can see my Power BI Pro license (trial) through my portal but I have no idea where to find Power BI for Office 365. The Power BI app is present in SharePoint but gives me the same error when trying to add it.

Hmm, well, they might have stopped selling that license because I can't find it when I go out to portal.office.com as an administrator and choose to Purchase Services. That actually wouldn't surprose me, Microsoft probably doesn't want anyone new signing up for Power BI for O365 because it is *supposed* to get rolled into the new Power BI. You might be able to do it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/powerBI/pricing.aspx

@MiguelMartinez can you shed any light on this?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Even though Power BI for Office 365 is still available as a paralell experience for now (please read this article and the whitepaper in it), it will be deprecated in the future:

From the document:

"We are making product and licensing updates to Power BI that will lead to deprecating existing Power BI for Office 365 experiences and licenses by December 31, 2015. If you’re an existing Power BI for Office 365 customer, you can try the new Power BI experience side-by-side with your existing Power BI for Office 365 experience before transitioning to the new experience. This document describes how to migrate from your existing Power BI for Office 365 experience to the new Power BI experience".

Now, there shouldn't be any issues with the current experience in Office 365. You should be able to see your trial on the O365 Admin portal under licenses. If that's not the case, please submit a support request to Office 365 support on the Admin portal.

Data for Everyone! We mean it
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. I am aware that the Power BI for Office 365 is deprecated and I guess that it is simply impossible to get a trial version of Power BI for Office 365. But the problem is that I was able to add the Power BI app to my SharePoint site but it is not working because it tells me I do not have a license! But I have no idea where to get a license even if I want to pay for the service.. Note that this is simply for demo purposes to show the interaction with Excel. And another strange thing is that I am able to save a query from Power Query to my Office 365 (Trial version) but I have no idea where it is stored because I do not have the access to Power BI site in Office 365 😞 And another strange bug is that when I've signed on from Excel it is impossible to log of and use another account.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors