Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI featured tables in Excel organization data types: Working with Pro license but not Premium

Hello, 

I Implemented featured tables that some users with recent Excel and Power BI pro license can consume.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-excel-featured-tables

However, I'm a bit surprised that premium users (not Pro) can't access the features. Am i Missing something? Is it on purpose?

If it is the case, It would make sense to extend it quickly to Premium users as customers are mainly not power BI creators.

Best regards

17 REPLIES 17
kathleeng23
Advocate I
Advocate I

My users have Pro license and have access to the data sets (plus build via published app) but they still can't see our custom Organzational Data Types.  I'm completely stumped because I can see and use them fine.  Any ideas on what else to check?

Foton
Frequent Visitor

Just checked and it finally works! It hasn't worked for a years, thanks for triggering me to check it.

Foton
Frequent Visitor

I found post on Power BI blog - https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-and-excel-expanded-feature-availability-for-power-...
They announced in 2021 that it should be available for free license connect from Excel to datasets hosted in a Power BI Premium workspace. But it still doesn't work.

itchyeyeballs
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Based on that, check the users have the build permission on the dataset

itchyeyeballs
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

If you have Premium Gen2 then the new Datamarts feature enables users to connect Excel to an SQL endpoint, should allow you to share data tables with all Excel users in your organisation

You will not be able to use the featured tables interface but should give you much better flexibility and sidestep licence issues, this Blog has some useful info: https://www.oliviertravers.com/power-bi-datamarts-sql-server-desktop-tools-connection/

Thanks for the reply.

I will check it out in my office tomorrow!

takanee
Frequent Visitor

Some of my coleagues who has only premium license granted can use the featured table, but the others who has the same license can not.

Is the featured table still available on only pro users?
So that my coleagues face bug with benefit?

Foton
Frequent Visitor

Hello, any updates? it's still unavailable for Premium users...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Feature still useless in Premium environment (only reports creators with Pro licence, data consumers under premium)

Any update from Microsoft ?

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

From your link I found that to access Power BI featured tables in Excel organization data types has License restrictions.

License:

The Excel Data Types Gallery and connected experiences to Power BI featured tables is available for Excel subscribers with a Power BI Pro service plan.

If the user in you organization only has premium license without pro license, they don't have access to this function.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.

I understand the license choice.
But can we agree that this license limitation makes this wonderful feature useless?
I submitted an idea, but it is lost in the messy https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas
Regards

Hi @Anonymous 

Your demand is a good idea, while it is not supported to implement in Power BI currently.

I found your idea: Power BI featured tables in Excel organization data types: remove Pro requirement for Premium

And I found a same idea like yours: Power BI featured tables in Excel organization data types with Premium capacity.

Power BI Idea is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Could you kindly accept the helpful reply as a solution? More people will benefit from it. 

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Yes that is correct even though you can add them it validates the license type, and a free user as mentioned previously can only read content.

Here is the offical document from Microsoft Power BI Team: Feature availability for users with free licenses - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the link.

No mention of data types in Excel, but "Analyze report in Excel" is available.

I understand the feature may be limited as today for Pro users only, but I still think it doesn't make sense.
(and even less with premium)
Any comment @v-yuaj-msft ?
Thank and regards

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Do those Premium Users have a Pro or Free license?

If they have a Power BI Free license that license only allows for reading of data and connecting via Excel is classified as building reports, which is not read only.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, 

They are free users, but I was under the impression that premium spirit would be the reading of data without pro account.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuaj-msft, would you have clarification on this ?
I can add free users (within premium scope) with build permissions, but it doesn't seems to be enough for them to see Excel organization data types.
Regards

Romain

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors