Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aalamos
Frequent Visitor

Power BI exports incomplete data to excel

Hi,

I'm having an issue related to exporting a table in power bi web service. It download incomplete data and/or missing rows.

As you can see in the picture, the total amount of sales is $649.975.096

aalamos_0-1626884787135.png

If I click export data (summarized, because thats the idea of the table, to avoid that the user downloads the underlying data that is a little messy), it should export to excel the table as I see it in the report (taking into account the row limit):

aalamos_1-1626884940264.png

Now, if I check the exported file, the total amount is different ($630.517.751): 

aalamos_2-1626885050261.png

I have already added an index column to the table (and changed it to don't summarize) to make every row unique and avoid that power bi will skip duplicated rows but the issue continues.

Thanks in advance for your time.

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @aalamos 

I have not seen this happen in the past unless it could be that the visual has been filtered when exporting the data?

Also what happens if you would rather connect to the Power BI dataset directly in Excel to access the data?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi There - I'm looking for clues on the same issue:  power bi data set saved on pbi server, dashboard has been displaying/exporting complete set of detail data for months.  Two days ago, it starts exporting an incomplete set of rows from one commonly-used table in the dashboard.

I have previously added an index column to the data set from Power Query Editor.  That seemed to resolve this apparent problem a few months ago, until it re-appeared in the last couple of days.  I checked & only one (expected) filter showing on the table I'm exporting from. 

When I connect to the published data set with excel, it is treating my values as categorical field?  that field has a data type of decimal number in pbi desktop.  In an excel pivot table, won't treat that field as a number?!?  That may be a clue to my malfunction.

Any ideas on how to resolve incomplete set of data being exported from a table in a published dashboard/report?

Thanks,   Jeff

as a work-around,  I created a separate report for exporting the data from a table.  Works fine so far but it has only been a few days.  You can't link another report using a button on a report;  my reports are packaged in an app so user has a list of reports/dashboards to choose from within the app.  

would still love to hear any theories on how rows of data visible in a table in a report are not all included when exporting from that report.

Jeff

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors