Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dlt1697

Power BI does not work with Dell Pen

I have encountered a very peculiar issue with power BI, and am really not sure where to go. I have build some reports taht have been operating without any errors. recently, my enterprise updated its hardware to touchscreen laptop with smart pens (the Dell Active Pen) that works with windows ink. I am now getting a lot of complaints that when my people use Power BI Desktop with the pens, they receive an error and the application crashes with the error "An Unexpected Error Occurred while rendering the report". 

This error happens each and every time the pen is brought near the laptop. A report can be functioning perfectly, but when the pen is brought near the screen the application fails. 

Has anyone experienced this? Does anybody know why an active pen would cause the reports to fail? 

Thank you. 

2 REPLIES 2
dlt1697

Hello Community, 

I have encountered a very unique issue with PBI Desktop: whenever an active pen is brought near the screen of the laptop, the application crashes with the error "there was a problem rendering the report". This happens for any report, from any schema, and only with the desktop service. 

What happens is the report works fine, but if i bring up my Dell Active Pen to interact with the screen, the application will crash and freeze, throwing the error, and continue to pop up the error until I take the pen far enough from the PC to disconnect. 

Does anyone know why my active stylus might be killing the app? It is very frustrating, since several people in my enterprise use convertible PC's with active pens to do their report development. 

Thank you, 

Dwayne

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @dlt1697,

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce your issue, you could have a Pro support to create a ticket in Power BI Support(If you have Power BI Pro account).

Capture.PNG

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors