Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

berta2b
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI desktop dataset not accessible after Publishing to Group Workspace

Hi there very helpful Community, have a problem when publishing PBI desktop files.

Whenever I create a PBIX dataset, publish to my ADMIN workspace and then content pack and publish to a Group Workspace, the dataset is not accessible for self servcie reporting

I have to 'Make a Copy' of the dataset and delete the original, however, you can't rename the copy as it's adds '- copy' to the end of the dataset name. Also, I'm not sure when you refresh the original dataset the copies are refreshed also.

Is there a way around not having to make a copy each time when I publish?

Many Thanks as usual guys.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey Herbert,

Okay so it wasn't anything I had overlooked, you need to make a copy to produce 'self-service' reporting from the datasets. Thanks for the links to the ideas to which I have voted.

Let's hope these get addressed soon.

Thanks again for your help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@berta2b

I see... The content pack dataset is read only here. You need to make a copy if you want to create reports based on the dataset. Please vote on following two ideas which have the same request as you.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/17312248-create-empty-report-from...

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/15695340-rename-copy-of-conent-pa...

Best Regards,
Herbert

Hey Herbert,

Okay so it wasn't anything I had overlooked, you need to make a copy to produce 'self-service' reporting from the datasets. Thanks for the links to the ideas to which I have voted.

Let's hope these get addressed soon.

Thanks again for your help.

berta2b
Helper I
Helper I

Hey Herbert, thanks for your reply. Here are the steps I go through:

1. Created .pbix with required dataset

2. Used PUBLISH option and pushed pbix to 'My Workspace' within our Administrator Power BI account

3. Once the dataset exists in 'My Workspace' I can click on dataset and the data tables are accessible produce a report.

4.  Create a Content Pack including Power Bi accounts and select dataset required.

5. Publish Content Pack to Power BI accounts i.e Group Workspaces

6. Whilst I'm within the Admin Account, navigate to one of the Group Workspaces

7. Then GET DATA -> My Organisation -> 'Get It Now'

8. Dataset appears but when I click no data tables appear, it's disabled !

9. Then I 'MAKE A COPY' etc . .

When I have created dataset via Power Query in Excel and used GET DATA and ONE DRIVE files into My Admin account and create content pack and load IT WORKS FINE, my dataset is accessible.

Also, if I publish the PBIX directly to the Group Workspace then the dataset is accessible, it's only when I content pack it from my Admin account and GET IT NOW I have this problem.

Hope this gives you the info you need Herbert.

Thanks again.

Bert

Is there something in the PBIX that I'm not setting

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@berta2b

Could you please provide more details about "the dataset is not accessible for self service reporting"? I published to My Workspace, create a content pack, and get this content pack in other group workspace, the dataset can always be accessed successfully and no need to make a copy.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors