Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nmck86
Post Patron
Post Patron

Power BI deployment best practices

I have a couple of questions about Power BI implementations that I am hoping you guys can assist with.

I cannot connect to their database from an outside computer becuase they do not open their db server to the public. Because of this, we are remoting into their windows server, and doing development there. The auto refresh client is also running on the server.

I'm sure this is not best practice. What is the best practice? Do companies normally have a vpn set up for computers outside of their network to connect to their database?

The auto refresh client is set up on the client's server. Every time the server is rebooted, the client needs to be opened, and started again. Is there a best practice to make sure the client auto starts on a reboot?

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

The standard method to achieve what you are trying to do is to make use of an "On Premise Data Gateway".  This can be any server inside your network.  You load and configure this peice of software such that you provide a secure bridge to transport the data from your network into your Online Data Model. You can find it in the download area of your Power BI

So you will continue to develop exactly as you have presently and the database itself doesn't need any external exposure as the requests will be coming from the internal server, which runs the mashup engine.

Capture.PNG

Thanks @Anonymous! To confirm, I will be able to develop repoeta for this orgnaization leveraging the pn premise gateway? I currently assist pther organizations with their builds and to eliminate thisbadded layer of difficultly it will be eliminated by the on prem solution? Thanks again for the help.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The gateway is designed purely for report refreshing once they are in the Power BI Service such that the Office 365 cloud can have a method of getting inside the companies network in a secure fashion.

For development, you'll need to work from a computer with inside access to those sources.  I commonly use RDP's whenever i need access not provided by my local network.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors