Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

009co
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power BI dataset - used as another report's data source - why are old query ghosts in dataset

I am using a Power BI dataset published to the Power BI online service as another desktop report's data source. This works fine. No problems.

However, at some point I changed the names of two of the first dataset's queries but the second report's data model now shows the two queries twice, once with the new names, and again with the old names. Screenshot below.

They do not appear to be negatively impacting the second report functionality. So I could just leave them but it looks a bit confusing for other developers and report users. 

The old queries seem like a "ghost".  I can't delete them.

What is going on here? Any ideas? 

009co_0-1652906508037.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
009co
Helper IV
Helper IV

I figured out why the "ghost" queries couldn't be removed from the second report's model.

There were a few measures in those ghost queries that had to be deleted from model first, and once they were deleted, the ghost queries disappeared.

These measures were not used anywhere in the report. I guess there was some quirky timing of when the queries were renamed and measures were used?

Anyways issue resolved!

009co_0-1653057992646.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @009co ,

Thanks for your feedback.😊

If the problem has been solved you can mark the reply for the standard answer to help the other members find it more quickly. If not, please point it out.

Best Regards,
Henry

009co
Helper IV
Helper IV

I figured out why the "ghost" queries couldn't be removed from the second report's model.

There were a few measures in those ghost queries that had to be deleted from model first, and once they were deleted, the ghost queries disappeared.

These measures were not used anywhere in the report. I guess there was some quirky timing of when the queries were renamed and measures were used?

Anyways issue resolved!

009co_0-1653057992646.png

009co
Helper IV
Helper IV

Yes in first dataset there is only the one table (new queries). 

I did change the dataset source to another dataset source, and back, but no change. The two "ghost" tables still there.

It appears that this is some artifact stored in the pbix file? Clearing the report caches didn't change anything.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @009co 

Can you confirm on the first dataset you can only see one table?

Other than that, what happens if you had to change the dataset source to something esle (Yes it would look like your report is broken), then change it back and see if that works?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors