Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jderekc
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power BI dataset refresh failing

Here we go again... most of my datasets fail on the refresh.  It again points to "WABI-US-NORTH-CENTRAL-redirect.analysis.windows.net" as the details for the error.  I noticed it happening this weekend and it persists today as well.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?  Microsoft doesn't have an advisory for this.

I've already restarted the on-premise data gateway service on the SQL server.  Please advise when possible on what steps I should take.

Regards,

Derek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jderekc,

Based on your screenshot, I found the timeout error, it may related to your network or data volume.

You can check your local gateway log or use fiddler to trace the operation logs.

Reference link:

Troubleshooting Power BI Gateway - Personal

Fiddler Trace

Fiddler is a free tool from Telerik that monitors HTTP traffic.  You can see the back and forth with the Power BI service from the client machine. This may show errors and other related information.

Setup Logs

If the Personal Gateway, fails to install, you will see a link to show the setup log. This could show you details about the failure. These are Windows Install logs, or also knows as MSI logs. They can be fairly complex and hard to read. Typically the resulting error will be at the bottom, but determining the cause of the error is not trivial. It could be a result of errors in a different log, or be a result of an error higher up in the log.

Alternatively, you can go to your Temp folder (%temp%) and look for files that start with Power_BI_.

Note:

Going to %temp% may take you to a subfolder of temp.  The Power_BI_ files will be in the root of the temp directory.  You may need to go up a level or two.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
denpries
Resolver I
Resolver I

Capture.PNG

I realize this is an old topic but i have the exact same problem as jderekc.

Timeouts on /powerbi/refresh/subscribe.

Issues are severe; 

- During phases of issue i cannot publish anything from desktop

- Reports do not normally load or hardly

Above fiddler snipper was obtained when looking to a report in internet explorer, that did not load anything. Extremely frustrating.

Did you get your issue resolved and if yes, what was the culprit?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

We have end-users who are members with 'Members can edit Power BI content' permissions yet are experiencing this refresh error intermittently when trying to refresh when connected to the primary domain via VPN.

Could someone please advise recommended troubleshooting steps, i.e. Power BI or gateway logs, etc., that would help identify the root cause?  I have looked at the Fiddler and F12 traffic to no avail, but may not be looking for the correct log entry.

PowerBIerror.PNG

Thank you,

Ben

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jderekc,

Can you share some detail contents about your issue? For e.g. gateway connect states, refresh history, screenshots.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin!

The issue isn't as severe now, but it does still persist.  I do have some errors that I have provided in the form of screenshots.

allitem-ds-2.PNGallitem-ds-1.PNGdatagateway1.PNGdataset1.PNGnotifications.PNG

I appreciate any help you can provide.  If you need anything else, please let me know.  Thanks!

Hi @jderekc,

Based on your screenshot, I found the timeout error, it may related to your network or data volume.

You can check your local gateway log or use fiddler to trace the operation logs.

Reference link:

Troubleshooting Power BI Gateway - Personal

Fiddler Trace

Fiddler is a free tool from Telerik that monitors HTTP traffic.  You can see the back and forth with the Power BI service from the client machine. This may show errors and other related information.

Setup Logs

If the Personal Gateway, fails to install, you will see a link to show the setup log. This could show you details about the failure. These are Windows Install logs, or also knows as MSI logs. They can be fairly complex and hard to read. Typically the resulting error will be at the bottom, but determining the cause of the error is not trivial. It could be a result of errors in a different log, or be a result of an error higher up in the log.

Alternatively, you can go to your Temp folder (%temp%) and look for files that start with Power_BI_.

Note:

Going to %temp% may take you to a subfolder of temp.  The Power_BI_ files will be in the root of the temp directory.  You may need to go up a level or two.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Thanks!  My issue seems to be alleviated at this time, but I will keep this in mind if the issue returns.

Regards,

Derek

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors