Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jmdh
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Power BI dataset refresh error: "We cannot convert the value "[Function]" to type Function

I have a number of functions running fine on the Desktop .
I access several Excel files on OneDrive Pro and SharePoint .

Everything works well on the desktop (with Options set to No privacy to allow my Refersh to work well since some tables depend on other tables etc)

When i publish to the service i get this crypticc error messsage:

Power BI dataset refresh error: "We cannot convert the value "[Function]" to type Function.

3 REPLIES 3
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@jmdh

I can't reproduce your issue.

Since you connect those files in Power BI Desktop and publish the .pbix onto Power BI Service, it supposes take the Personal Gateway. I have seen issues related to data refresh with Personal Gateway when connecting OneDrive or SharePoint.

Can you switch it to On-premise Gateway or directly connect from Power BI Service?

Regards,

Thank you.
I have just publsihed a detailed analysis under "Bug in a Query that Reffers to an other Query"

My data (stored on OneDrive for Business) is accessed via Get Data > Web (in the desktop) so it does not require a Gateway, provided I edit Credentials after publish.

The issue is due to the fact that my Query calls a Function which itself accesses on of the data sets above.

On the desktop I have the error message:

Formula.Firewall: Query 'Test Query with Bug' (step 'Rename') references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination.

Which I overcome with File>Options > Privacy > Ignore the privacy levels…

But when I publish, edit the Dataset credentials, and try to refresh I have :

Data source type:

Processing error:

We cannot convert the value "[Function]" to type Function.

Cluster URI:

WABI-NORTH-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net

(Please note that when I remove the call to the function in my Query, Refresh works fine )

So the Bug comes from this sort of Query in Query thing.

Test files available.

jameslo30
Advocate III
Advocate III

Assuming you have a column or measure called "Function", perhaps it's worth removing it and re-adding it again?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors