Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rohanP
Employee
Employee

Power BI data source connection based on environment

Hi All,

I have Power BI Report which uses the 'Azure Data Explorer (Kusto)' as datasource. I have different environments like Dev, Testing & Production which refers to different Kusto Servers. I want to change datasource based on environment dynamically. 

E.g.

For Dev environment datasource should refer to 'DevServer.kusto.windows.net',

For tesing  environment datasource should refer to 'TestServer.kusto.windows.net'

For Kusto datasource connection, we can not pass parameters from Power BI.

Currently I am changing datasource for each report manually before deployment on each environment, which is very tedious task as we have large number of reports.

Is there any way to change the Power BI connection based on environment ?? Or Is there any other alternative ??

2 REPLIES 2
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @rohanP 

Have you tried to parameterise a data source ? From connecting to different data sources defined in Query Parameters to load different combinations of columns. You may create a parameter for clusters and a parameter for databases.

To visualize data from Azure Data Explorer in Power BI, you may refer to the document .

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

If you are on Premium capacity you can create deployment pipelines that allow data source parameters.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors