Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

niallhannon
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI creates Team Sites in Sharepoint Online automatically

How do we stop power Bi creating Team Sites in Sharepoint Online automatically?

Anytime a new workspace in Power Bi is created it create a corresponding team site in Sharepoint online which we do not want. There doesnt seem to be a way of stopping this?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Did PowerBI unilaterally turn off the creation of SharePoint Team Sites for Workspaces, sometime between Mar 2018 and now? I have created workspaces in the past couple of months and they are no longer creating an Office365 group with a corresponding SharePoint site.

@dedelman_clng There is a new workspace, which is likely what you are using.(or it was converted). This de-couples the O365 mandatory element of the workspace. You should still be able to connect things by adding the O365 group to the workspace. Full details here -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-the-new-workspaces

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer When the new workspaces roll out to GA we will not be able to create old workspaces anymore and all the existing workspaces need to be converted to new workspaces. What if for a selected workspace, we need a sharepoint site? 

I have created a workspace with new preview and created a share point site so I can use it for hosting the files. It ended up creating a Power BI workspace Smiley Surprised didn't knew this happens the other way like this. 

@deepu299 Any O365 Universal Group that you are part of will show up in Power BI... I am not aware that this behaviour would change in the new realm. It just allows you to create seperate workspaces in Power BI. Sounds like you resolved it!.. Apologies for not thinking about this at the time in my response.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer Sorry it sounded like I resolved 🙂 I was actually trying to explain the behavior. If every Microsoft Team and Share Point site starts to create a respective Power BI workspace, I will end up having hundreds of empty workspaces. I don't want these workspaces to be created. Is there a way to disable this behavior? 

mattyvx

Any update on this issue? We're creating Power BI Workspaces for our Departments, who already have Site Collections in place within SharePoint. This is quite annoying for us, as a business we don't want all of the Office 365 Group artifacts (shared Site, Mailbox, Calendar, etc) which are created with the Group attached to the Power BI Workspace. An option to create a Power BI Workspace without the Group and its artifacts would be ideal!

mattyvx

Any update on this issue? We're creating Power BI Workspaces for our Departments, who already have Site Collections in place within SharePoint. This is quite annoying for us, as a business we don't want all of the Office 365 Group artifacts (shared Site, Mailbox, Calendar, etc) which are created with the Group attached to the Power BI Workspace. An option to create a Power BI Workspace without the Group and its artifacts would be ideal!

Heard anything back on this issue?

What @Seth_C_Bauer said, "echnically, Power BI Workspaces are creating Office 365 groups, which in turn are building out in all the different aspects of your tenant. Your O365 admin could turn off the ability for users to create Groups using a Powershells scrip" is good info.

We tried to disbale the ability for staff to create groups but it just causes errors, staff cannot create a Power BI workspace for example.

So, it just seems that currently there is nothing you can do to fine tune how these extra groups and site collections are created.

@niallhannon Technically, Power BI Workspaces are creating Office 365 groups, which in turn are building out in all the different aspects of your tenant. Your O365 admin could turn off the ability for users to create Groups using a Powershells script, but I'm not familiar enough with that space to know whether or not they can control "which" parts of the groups get created.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors