Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Markzolotoy
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Power BI as core application technology

We have an enterprise application that is a generic web application with two specific pieces:  SSRS reports and very advanced charting package based on D3 engine. I am thinking to use Power BI for both reports and charting. I am a bit familiar with the BI technology. I also think to convert some of the app screens into dashboards. Thus positioning Power BI as a core technology for cloud based app makes lots of sense to me. But my problem is that I dont know where to start creating a new application architecture. All I know is that I would want to go with Azure App Service. Can someone please point me to the right direction in regards of choosing  correct application architecture, deciding how the clients are gong to run the app, whethere I need to ambed reports, charts, and dashboards, etc.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Markzolotoy,

I don't think you can do customize with power bi desktop application. It is possible to embed with power bi service with other applications, you can refer to following links to know more about power bi embedded:

Embedded analytics with Power BI

What is Power BI Embedded in Azure?

BTW, power bi embedded is works for power bi contents, it not means you can direct use this function to embed external reports or visualizations created by third party applications.

In addition, power bi has its own report server, you can take a look at below document to know more about this:

What is Power BI Report Server?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Are Power BI charts interactive? I dont mean just clicking but also selecting regions, addining annotations on the fly, zooming, and etc?

Hi @Markzolotoy,

For power bi report server, it contains features which sql server report server has. 

Comparing Power BI Report Server and the Power BI service

If you means power bi report visualization, it can interaction with other visual who has relationship to its source data table and use filter/slicer to apply filter effect on visual data.

Change how visuals interact in a Power BI report

How visuals cross-filter each other in a Power BI report

If you publish report to power bi service, it allow you to create dashboard to pin visuals and allow viewers to add comment and resizing tiles.

Announcing Dashboard Comments in Power BI: Your new hub to discuss data and collaborate with others

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors