Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Nano
Frequent Visitor

Power BI as a service

Hello and thank you in advance!

I would like to use power bi as a service for my clients but I m not sure what is the way to do it.
I install sensors in my clients companies. I would like to supervise the data from these sensors in my Power BI. However, I would also want them to have access to their respective dashboard. What is the best way to do it?
I am totally a beginner in Power Bi, I have doubts related with where the data should be stored, or which licence should I buy for me or for my client.
Thank you very much!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Nano ,

For the external users which are outside of your organization,  you may need to invite the users as guest first of all for further share report or dashboard content , see more detail: Distribute Power BI content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B .

Make sure to enable the Share content with external users feature in the Power BI admin portal before inviting guest users. You can also use the Allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization feature. It lets you select which guest user can see and create content in workspaces, including browsing your organization's Power BI.

The guest user must have the proper licensing in place to view the content that you shared. There are three ways to make sure the user has a proper license: use Power BI Premium, assign a Power BI Pro license, or use the guest's Power BI Pro license.

When using the Allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization feature, guest users contributing content to workspaces or sharing content with others require a Power BI Pro license.

For reference:

Distribute Power BI content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B

Share Power BI dashboards and reports with coworkers and others

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Nano
Frequent Visitor

Thanks to both of you,

I am sorry but I am an Industrial Engineer and my knowledge on IT is quite low, so probably I am not getting the answer I need cause I am not explaining myself properly. Let me please try again.

• Currently: As I said, We have sensors installed in other companies (our clients), and we receive the data in our servers. We have developed some reports in Power Bi desktop, which are really interesting to analyze and visualize the data we receive.
  • Future: We want our clients to visualize that reports also. We know other companies use Iot platforms for doing this. Can we do something similar with Power Bi? Or maybe there are better software for this purpose?

I have read about creating and sharing power bi apps, could it be a way? Thank you very much for your patience!

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Nano ,

For the external users which are outside of your organization,  you may need to invite the users as guest first of all for further share report or dashboard content , see more detail: Distribute Power BI content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B .

Make sure to enable the Share content with external users feature in the Power BI admin portal before inviting guest users. You can also use the Allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization feature. It lets you select which guest user can see and create content in workspaces, including browsing your organization's Power BI.

The guest user must have the proper licensing in place to view the content that you shared. There are three ways to make sure the user has a proper license: use Power BI Premium, assign a Power BI Pro license, or use the guest's Power BI Pro license.

When using the Allow external guest users to edit and manage content in the organization feature, guest users contributing content to workspaces or sharing content with others require a Power BI Pro license.

For reference:

Distribute Power BI content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B

Share Power BI dashboards and reports with coworkers and others

Best Regards,

Amy 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Nano ,

>>We are exploring the option of having a dashboard for every company  in Power BI Service for them to see their particular information.  

From your words, you may set Row-Level Security (RLS) to manage roles for these companies,  and there is no requirement for the license. For the RLS, please see the link Power BI Desktop Dynamic security cheat sheet, which described the detailed steps. Maybe it doesn't work, there are some tips to let it work and test it efficiently.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Nano - So are you dealing with streaming data then from these sensors? Where does the information from these sensors go to right now?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you very much for your quick reply,

Nowadays the information goes to the server of my company, I use the data from there and I analize it in power BI desktop. We are exploring the option of having a dashboard for every company  in Power BI Service for them to see their particular information.  

We are not sure what licence we would need and what licence our clientes would need. 

Thank you again

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors