Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

moneelta
Regular Visitor

Power BI app and RLS Security

I have created a report with Row Level Security (RLS) and published it in a App. The user is a part of a role that limits what they see in the report but if the go to the dataset and "analyse in excel" the donwloaded file has all the data. Is there a way to restric the data that is downloaded via the dataset?

9 REPLIES 9
Prashant_leo
Regular Visitor

Check your tenant setting, you might have "analyze in excel with live connection "switched on.

DocHypNL

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

The RLS will apply when they use the Analyze in Excel.

The one question that I have is the user in the App Workspace?
If any user is part of the App Workspace they will get to see all the data. That is currently by design which should hopefully be fixed in the New App Workspace experience.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thank you - yes they are part of the App Workspace. I did a test and clicked the "Analyse in Excel" option via the App Workpace as this Test User and they could see all the data. I wasnt sure if I hadnt applied the RLS appropiately.

If you remove them from the App Workspace and leave them as a member then the RLS will apply

Power BI Blog

I removed them from the App Workspace and added them as member of the Workpace (members can only view content). The RLS applies but they can still Analyse in Excel and access the other data. I assume this is a design issue.

What if you add them to just the App

Power BI Blog

Thats how I had it initially. It works great at filtering the report content but unfortunately users can still access the data if they analyse in excel.

I am pretty certain that it will work right with Analyze in Excel.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors