Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

catda

Power BI and groups ownership without membership

tl; dr ... why must I be a member of a group that I own to publish reports to it?

We have Azure AD and can create a group using "dynamic user" membership type with a query referencing the "reports to" from AD. We then see that the manager and her direct reports are members of the group, this is expected behavior. The Group Type for this group is "Office" the Membership type is  "Dynamic". I am the owner of the group, I am not in the members. From PowerBI Desktop I cannot publish to this workspace. 

Groups that I created with explicit membership through portal.powerbi.com using the "Create app workspace" button are listed in the Azure portal as Group Type = "Office" and Membership Type = "Assigned". I am both the owner and a member. From PowerBI I can publish to this workspace.

Due to the sensitive nature of our data, I need to be able to push content to workspaces. I do not want to be a member of each group/workspace, but I do want to privilege of membership. For the Dynamically generated membership group, I am able to see all the shared application, but not PowerBI.

We will have too many groups for me to be a member of each - also, I do not report to the manager of each group. This would require manual intervention adding me to each group. 

Am I looking at the interaction between Azure groups and PowerBI wrong? Is there another automated way to achieve this? Or is this a gap? Maybe Power BI (still) only recognized O365 groups and the Azure dynamic membership group doesn't exist there (it's not a timing thing, this group has existed for weeks)?

Thanks for any insight, ideas, suggestions or solutions!

<edited to add> I created another group via Azure, enabled Office features and chose to Assign members. From the group list, I cannot see a difference between those that I created in O365 and Azure - they're both Office/Assigned. I do not see this group in my list of workspaces when publishing from Power BI Desktop. The Dynamic user assignment doesn't seem to be the issue.

<edited to add> I thought I would test that it's all about the fact I am only an owner in the Azure created group and both an owner and member in the O365 created group by removing my membership from the O365 group - I cannot leave the group as I am the owner. In O365 ownership creates automatic membership. 

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@catda wrote:

Am I looking at the interaction between Azure groups and PowerBI wrong? Is there another automated way to achieve this? Or is this a gap? Maybe Power BI (still) only recognized O365 groups and the Azure dynamic membership group doesn't exist there (it's not a timing thing, this group has existed for weeks)?

@catda

I think that is the point. If you read the online documentation Create a group in Power BI.

Groups in Power BI are based on groups in Office 365, so if you've been using Office 365 groups to manage your group's email, calendar, and documents, you'll see that Power BI offers the same features, and more. When you create a group in Power BI, you're actually creating an Office 365 group.

And in next months, the group will be enhanced which would make the PBI app workspace individual from the O365 group, see this link

Thanks for the link. The real question is why does Power BI behave differently with groups where I am only the owner (Azure created, Office enabled groups) versus where I am the owner and a member (O365 created, with automatic membership when an owner)? Power BI is the only application that behaves in this way. All the other office products are available to me as an owner, without membership.

I can create an Office enabled group in Azure and it looks exactly like a O365 group, with the only difference being that when I create it in O365 I am explicitly a member and in Azure I am not. In O365 I cannot remove myself from membership, without reassigning ownership first which tells me that O365 groups tie ownership to membership explicitly, but not in Azure. 

I do not want to be a member of all the groups I own. But I do want to publish Power BI reports to them all.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors