Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bamak
Helper V
Helper V

Power BI and Premium Dataset Cache

It's linked to cache management

Hi

I wish your help please to understand preciselly the precise meanning of theses 2 parameters 

1) For Premium datasets we can manage queries cache options

I Guess , it's exclusively linked to IMPORT mode , no ?

Dax queries results for visuals are stock in the cache
all the time the underlying model is not refreshed (import)

For Live & Direct query , I think rather that all  DAX request are instantannely  transmited to Sourcing system ...then no caching of responses

2) In desktop we can also empty cache (via options)

Is this also an option closely related to mode IMPORT for data ?

Regards

Christophe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Bamak ,

I don't know much about the query cache, the following is for reference only:

1) For Premium datasets we can manage queries cache options

No. According to the official documentationQuery caching is not applicable to LiveConnect datasets leveraging Azure Analysis Services or SQL Server Analysis Services. So, it is also applicable to DirectQuery. 

According to the official documentation, at present the service only does query caching for the initial page that you land on. In other words, queries aren't cached when you interact with the report. So, I agree with you.

For Live & Direct query , I think rather that all  DAX request are instantannely  transmited to Sourcing system ...then no caching of responses

First, Query caching is not applicable to LiveConnect datasets leveraging Azure Analysis Services or SQL Server Analysis Services.

Then, for DirectQuery, according to the official documentation, Performance especially benefits when a dataset is accessed frequently and doesn't need to be refreshed often. Query caching can also reduce load on your Premium/Embedded capacity by reducing the overall number of queries. So, if the underlying dataset doesn't refresh often, DAX query will be cached.

2) In desktop we can also empty cache (via options)

cache.jpg

Copies of query preview results are stored on your local disk for faster viewing later. Not just for Import mode but also for DirectQuery. You can pay attention to this: after connecting to a data source at a certain time, and then connecting to this data source after a while, you will see a reminder: this data is preview ...(how long) ago...

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Bamak ,

I don't know much about the query cache, the following is for reference only:

1) For Premium datasets we can manage queries cache options

No. According to the official documentationQuery caching is not applicable to LiveConnect datasets leveraging Azure Analysis Services or SQL Server Analysis Services. So, it is also applicable to DirectQuery. 

According to the official documentation, at present the service only does query caching for the initial page that you land on. In other words, queries aren't cached when you interact with the report. So, I agree with you.

First, Query caching is not applicable to LiveConnect datasets leveraging Azure Analysis Services or SQL Server Analysis Services.

Then, for DirectQuery, according to the official documentation, Performance especially benefits when a dataset is accessed frequently and doesn't need to be refreshed often. Query caching can also reduce load on your Premium/Embedded capacity by reducing the overall number of queries. So, if the underlying dataset doesn't refresh often, DAX query will be cached.

2) In desktop we can also empty cache (via options)

cache.jpg

Copies of query preview results are stored on your local disk for faster viewing later. Not just for Import mode but also for DirectQuery. You can pay attention to this: after connecting to a data source at a certain time, and then connecting to this data source after a while, you will see a reminder: this data is preview ...(how long) ago...

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

What this means it will cache any queries and if possible answer any queries via the cache.

This should apply for all Imported or LiveConnection(Analysis Services) moded.

I am not 100% sure with regards to DirectQuery

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors