Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Cathryn
Helper III
Helper III

Power BI and Power Pivot

Hi All - not sure if this is the right forum

I have an Excel report using Power Pivot and a pivot table on top of that.  

I can upload this to the Power BI service and you can play with it just fine.  

My issue is I can't download the file.  I need to allow users to grab this report and download it.  I put it up in Power BI so I can refresh it on a schedule.

Am I missing a feature to be able to download this workbook?  I can't even edit it or download it and it's my workbook.  

Thanks!

Cathryn

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Cathryn

To enable Edit, you need to save your workbook to OneDrive, delete the original one in Power BI Service, and upload from the OneDrive Excel file again.

Power BI and Power Pivot _1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

View solution in original post

That worked!  Now I just hope the user can download the workbook.  I shared the dashboard

@Cathryn

In this scenario, your colleagues can view the tiles without needing permissions for the workbook itself.

Only when clicking the tile, opens the workbook inside of Power BI. The workbook will only open if your colleagues have at least read permissions to the workbook on OneDrive for Business.

For details, please refer to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-share-dashboard-that-links-to-exce....

Best Regards,
Herbert

8 REPLIES 8
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Cathryn

Now we can only download a report (.pbix file) from Power BI service to Desktop, or export data from Power BI visualizations as a .csv/.xlsx file. But cannot download the excel report which uploaded to Power BI Service.

If the excel report is under Workspaces - Workbooks, you can try to edit in Excel/Excel Online and then save/download it through Excel App.

Reference: 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-export-to-pbix/

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-export-data/

Power BI and Power Pivot_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Thank you for the reply

Edit is greyed out even though it's my workbook.  So, I was wondering if it's because it's a PowerPivot vs just a regular spreadsheet with a data connection

Cathryn

@Cathryn

To enable Edit, you need to save your workbook to OneDrive, delete the original one in Power BI Service, and upload from the OneDrive Excel file again.

Power BI and Power Pivot _1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

One more question in regards to allowing a user to download the excel file.   

I can't figure out how to link my one drive file structure to the One-Drive in Power BI.  It only opens up the sharepoint library associated to the group.  So, if I upload the doc from the sharepoint library I get:

This dashboard contains tiles linked to Excel workbooks on a group site. If you're sharing this dashboard with invitees outside the group, they need at least Read permissions for the workbooks in the group's shared documents to view the workbooks.Learn moreGo to the group's shared documents to set workbook permissions

So, do I need to now apply permissions to this file within the sharepoint library?  I'd prefer to choose from my One-Drive library that isn't associated with the Sharepoint Library linked with Power Bi but I can't navigate to it.  The only way I can get to the file on my One Drive is to choose 'Files' instead of One drive.  But then I can't edit it or download it.

@Cathryn

In this scenario, your colleagues can view the tiles without needing permissions for the workbook itself.

Only when clicking the tile, opens the workbook inside of Power BI. The workbook will only open if your colleagues have at least read permissions to the workbook on OneDrive for Business.

For details, please refer to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-share-dashboard-that-links-to-exce....

Best Regards,
Herbert

Great - thank you for all your help - I was able to get the user to access and edit to download the report.  

I put this report out there because I wanted to refresh the connections monthly but now, when a user downloads the report, it's asking for their credentials from the sharepoint, I'm guessing either because I need to grant access to the data connections?  I've granted access to the report itself and they have edit since view doesn't allow them to download the report.

That worked!  Now I just hope the user can download the workbook.  I shared the dashboard

@Cathryn

If your problem has been got resolved, you can mark the right answer as solution so that other people who have the same problem can find the right answer quickly.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors