Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

leesm1thy
Frequent Visitor

Power BI administrator access to users' My Workspace content

A recent blog post by Melissa Coates (link) about what is accessible to a tenant's Power BI administrator in turn links to an older post of hers that suggests that "a Power BI administrator can grant themselves permission to [My Workspace] content".

Could anyone give me some pointers on how to do this? I am the PBI administrator for my organisation and am able to see the creation of Dataset and Report artefacts but cannot access them unless I send a request to the author.

5 REPLIES 5
chancep19

Hi I'm unable to give admin access to my team members, i'm the owner of the workspace and see that I have admin powers but i can only give my team members read and reshare access

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think a PBI tenant admin can grant themselves access to a user's "My workspace" workspace.  I think that is by design.  However, you can grant yourself access to all other workspaces.  To do so:

1) Open the PBI admin portal.  (Power BI)

2) In the left-hand navigation menu, click on 'Workspaces'.

3) Click on the vertical ellipses next to the desired workspace Name.

4) In the dialog that opens, add yourself to the e-mail address field, select your role, and click on 'Add'.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

As per Melissa's blog post, you can only grant that access to the New (V2) workspaces.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the reply. The second blog I linked to has this section which certainly seems to suggest that a PBI admin can grant themselves permission even to My Workspace content - is this, then, just not the case?

pbi admin and my workspace.PNG

I had a look and I cannot for the life of me find out where the syntax is for the admin to take control.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors