Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mattkarriker
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Work group Access from sub-Domain

We are using power BI in our US organization and are now in the process of extending the reporting to other regions.  Each region has there own sub-domain their user accounts belong to.  Our source data is stored in Mulit-dimensional cubes with AD authenication and the reports\dashboards use live connections in Power BI.  I have tested these users access to the cubes locally.  Their accounts athenicate properly and security is set as expected.  

The issue I am facing is how I can grant access to the Power BI work groups to these users?  Currently when I add them to the Power BI Work group I receive a message that the account has been granted "Guest Access and resource may be limited."  However the users report they cannot see the work group inside Power BI.  They all have power BI pro licenses.  

Another querky thing I am seeing is that we use AD groups to control much of who can see what in our organization.  In Power BI these users accounts are never listed as part of the AD Group.  It like the cloud does not know they are part of our organization.  It could be because they are on different Office 365 accounts.  I dont know if Office 365 plays into this at all but since the apps seem connected through O365 I thought I'd mention it.  

Has anyone run ito a situation similar to this and if so how were you able to resolve?

Thanks, 

Matt

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @mattkarriker

It would appear to me that your Active Directory is not synched between the different domains. And this is also not being syched to Azure Active Directory.

The reason being is that when you grant them access it is granting them guest access. Which to me says they are not recognized in Azure Active Directory.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ In your opinion would office 365 licenses play into this at all?  I will have our staff look into AD syncing, but wanted to eliminate Office 365 as a possible issue if possible.  

Hi @mattkarriker

I am not 100% if the licenses would play any part, but I would not think so off the top of my head

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors